Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,214

0 members and 3,214 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    For the record...Benadryl is an antihistamine, not an antibiotic. Regardless, it should only be used under direct supervision of a vet, as stated previously.

If you plan on keeping this rat, I would have it seen immediately rather than "waiting to see how things go". Small animals deteriorate very quickly, and things can go South in the blink of an eye if medical assistance is not provided at the right time. Many times, small animals come in too sick to save, and usually by the time they're showing a few symptoms, it's too late.

So hopefully, if you get this kid to the vet sooner rather than later, you can nip the possible resp. infection (if that's what it is) in the bud...While you're at it, bring a fresh stool sample for analysis.

Good luck, and yeah, she's really cute!
    Maia D. Goldworm CVT, VTS (anesthesia)

Thanks
    I have to rehome her anyway. I guess I'll tell whoever might want to adopt her on Craigslist that she needs to see a vet. She's so adorable, I love her.
    My mom won't let me keep her. The only thing that scares her more than the snakes is a rat or mouse.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    Also, she is still sneezing and we have had her since Thursday. It's less often than it was, I think.
    I don't see any mucus out of her nose, her ears look fine but I'm no expert. She's acting normally and eating normally. Her stools also look healthy, no diarrhea or anything like that. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I'm in love....beautiful rat!

Quote Originally Posted by JordanAng420 View Post
    For the record...Benadryl is an antihistamine, not an antibiotic. Regardless, it should only be used under direct supervision of a vet, as stated previously.

If you plan on keeping this rat, I would have it seen immediately rather than "waiting to see how things go". Small animals deteriorate very quickly, and things can go South in the blink of an eye if medical assistance is not provided at the right time. Many times, small animals come in too sick to save, and usually by the time they're showing a few symptoms, it's too late.

So hopefully, if you get this kid to the vet sooner rather than later, you can nip the possible resp. infection (if that's what it is) in the bud...While you're at it, bring a fresh stool sample for analysis.

Good luck, and yeah, she's really cute!
    You are correct, and I meant to say Baytril, not Benadryl (I had Benadryl on the brain since I'm currently taking it for some allergies).

Thanks
    You can also use Tetracycline (a fish antibiotic) to treat mild respiratory infections. (Please note I said MILD respiratory infections. A serious infection needs antibiotics prescribed by a veterinarian). I have used this medication to treat infections before with success.

It is a shame you have to re-home her. She is a cutie! That is the problem with rats. They are too darn cute for their own good! So many people see them as disgusting, disease carrying vermin and it is such a shame. They make great pets. I hope you find her a good home.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Where can I buy tetracycline? And how do I tell if it is mild or not? She has no mucus but she sneezes quite a bit. I changed her bedding to paper towels, she's still sneezing. A lady at a pet store said it might be vitamin A deficiency so we are giving her some parrot snacks that have red dried peppers in them, hoping it will help. Other than that I don't know what to do. She acts normal other than she seems to rub her nose a good bit, but my old mouse did that too.
    Until we can find a home for her we bought her a companion female mouse. Since we named the white one this thread is about Chips, we named her new friend "Potato." They snuggle a lot.
    2.3 normal ball pythons

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I thought rats normally killed mice?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran Theartisticgemini's Avatar
    Thanks
    I rescued one of my feeders before. Turned him into a breeder and saved a ton of money on feeding since then.

More importantly tho i saved the lil guys life

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

I thought rats normally killed mice?

dr del
    Whenever I bring home mice and rats in the same box, 99% of the time I hear fighting in the box, and most of the time I just hear the mouse sqeaking. One time though, the mouse actually had all 3 rats huddled up in a corner. He had a big ego!

Hope everything goes well.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12