Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,454

1 members and 3,453 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

sexing a ball python

First I am not going to try to sex my baby I know it can hurt her (on assumption lol)

what I want to know is how it can hurt her i pretty much see how a probe could hurt them but exactly what could happen is still a bit of a mystery to me on what popping could cause. I was just curious if any of you have experience in this area ( injured snakes) or at least are able to tell me what would happen..
    Though I will do my best to find an experienced vet I would still like to know what to look for. thanks guys

Banned
    Thanks

Re: sexing a ball python

Quote Originally Posted by MommaK View Post
    First I am not going to try to sex my baby I know it can hurt her (on assumption lol)

what I want to know is how it can hurt her i pretty much see how a probe could hurt them but exactly what could happen is still a bit of a mystery to me on what popping could cause. I was just curious if any of you have experience in this area ( injured snakes) or at least are able to tell me what would happen..
    Though I will do my best to find an experienced vet I would still like to know what to look for. thanks guys
    Vets normally probe, I would find a breeder to teach you. Email him/her and maybe you guys could meet at his place or at a local reptile show.
    As for popping I am not sure of what exactly happens but I get a idea of what could happen, I will let some else elaborate on how the internal workings can be hurt in specifics.

Thanks
    Well basically the theory is that if you push too hard or not in the correct spot you can damage or tear the internal organs. For males if you push too hard you might stress the hemipenes which could result in inverted hemipenes over time. This is fairly rare, but its always good to have someone experienced do it.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveboos View Post
    Well basically the theory is that if you push too hard or not in the correct spot you can damage or tear the internal organs. For males if you push too hard you might stress the hemipenes which could result in inverted hemipenes over time. This is fairly rare, but its always good to have someone experienced do it.
    OMG ouchie! well thanks to Valentine Pirate I think I at least have a prospective vet for my little one we will see when I call later this week.

Thanks
    My newest ball is a little 6 month old het pied female... the breeder popped her and it left her with a big kink right above the vent. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until my wife pointed it out after we got her home. She can still pass <large> feces without a problem so I don't think eggs will be difficult either. One piece of advice I got from another breeder was to keep her on the lean, but muscular side since a fat BP will have more trouble passing eggs to begin with.

Thanks

i need to learn how to sex them too but i dont know anyone that could teach me either.

Thanks
    easy but be careful best video to learn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMqN402TiVg

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x_gilmore_x View Post
    easy but be careful best video to learn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMqN402TiVg
    Watching a video and thinking your doing it "right" is much different then being coached by someone in person who can tell you by guiding you the whole way. Telling you to move up or down, more or less pressure, etc. The guy on the video can't tell you that.
    There are MANY members on this forum you should have atleast 1 who is close by that would be more than happy to meet you and teach you how to sex.

Thanks

anyone in Puerto Rico? lol i have 6 babies i need to sex

Thanks
    Mike is right, don't try and do it yourself using a video as a guide. Regardless of how good the person in the video is you have no sense of feel. You don't know if you are using too much force or not enough.

Best thing to do is to try and find a local breeder and see if they wouldn't mind giving you a couple of lessons.
    iHerp - http://www.iherp.com/thedarkwolf25

1.1.0 Normal BP (Hera) (Eden)
    1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)
    0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Athena)
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa (Persephine)
    0.1.0 50% Dwarf Retic (Isis)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Spyro)
    3.1.0 Cats (Rajah, Muffin, Storm, Ladybug)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast