Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,444

1 members and 2,443 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Question BP's and hot glue

Is it safe for me to use hot glue gun glue on the bottom of my BP's rubbermaid enclosure, under the newspaper substrate? He never gets under the newspaper substrate because I've cluttered the enclosure up with five hides, a log, and his water bowl (he has so many options lol) and made sure all the corners of the newspaper were covered with hides or his water bowl. I bought a hydrofarm thermostat and it's the worst thermostat ever! I taped the hydrofarm thermostat probe in between the UTH and the enclosure on the outside of the tub at first and even though the thermostat is supposed to shut off once it has reached a max temp, it doesn't, (though the light indicates it did shut off) it just keeps getting hotter and hotter inside the enclosure, reaching very unhealthy and high temps. Thus, I want to hot glue the thermostat probe inside the enclosure, underneath the newspaper substrate (I know I cannot use tape inside of his cage) and have the thermometer probe on top of the newspaper substrate. I think this will help with the measurements because the hydrofarm thermostat also works as a thermometer and if I glue it inside his cage and under the newspaper, it will have a much lower reading than if its in between the UTH and the outside of the enclosure...
    1.0.0 Normal BP
    *Erikson*
    DOB: August 2010
    Weight: 62 grams

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: BP's and hot glue

Hi,

Keep the probe outside. If you put it inside the snakes sitting and peeing on it can affect the temps.

I am not familiar with the hydrofarm but how are you setting the thermostat?

I take it you have the thermometer probe on the top of the substrate inside the hot end hide and are using tht to find the set point on the thermostat?

Can you test the thermostat is turning on and off correctly using a lamp?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Re: BP's and hot glue

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Keep the probe outside. If you put it inside the snakes sitting and peeing on it can affect the temps.

I am not familiar with the hydrofarm but how are you setting the thermostat?

I take it you have the thermometer probe on the top of the substrate inside the hot end hide and are using tht to find the set point on the thermostat?

Can you test the thermostat is turning on and off correctly using a lamp?

dr del
    I am setting the thermostat by guess and check and measuring it by comparing it to my digital thermometer, which has proved to be accurate...
    Yes the thermometer probe is on top of the substrate inside the hot end hide...
    How would it work if I plug a lamp into it? If I have a temp set, how will it turn a lamp on or off?
    1.0.0 Normal BP
    *Erikson*
    DOB: August 2010
    Weight: 62 grams

Thanks
    i have used hot glue on the back of my digital thermometers with no issues.

for my probes i use some fancy band aides that have a clear saran wrap center and sticky outer border. you see them used over IV's alot so that medical staff can see the IV stick sight. i check them often and have never had a probe moved or disrupted.
    Last edited by 2pwrlftrs4u; 12-11-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    1. American Staffordshire Terrior
    1. American Pitbull Terrior
    1. Boxer
    .1 Normal BP
    1. Pinstripe BP
    .2 Guinea Pigs
    Alot of Fish

Thanks
    I use hot glue to fix the thermoMETER to the bottom of my tubs. Just make sure it's completely cooled before you put the snake back in.
    1.1 Classic Ball Pythons - Louise and Zeus
    1.0 Poss. Granite - D*ck
    1.0 Cane Corso - Benedetto
    1.0 ACD/GSD Mix - Dino
    1.0 Fat Cat - Jose

"It only happens if it doesn't matter."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Hot glue is non toxic when dried. And ive used it for years.

Since your local to me, dont hesitate to ask questions or for in person help.
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 12-11-2010 at 08:38 PM.