Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

1 members and 3,310 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python not showing interest in locking up anymore??

Hi there people, so, I followed the plan of breeding ball python from Markus Jayne and every articles I can find online.

1)
    I left my spider male with my female for 3 days. The first round, a lot of courting happen where the spider will glide all over the female. (No lock up in these 3 days)

2)
    I took out the spider and gave both of them 2 days rest, then put them together for 3 days again. And yes, they lock up the first day of that 3 days this time, last for around 10 to 15 hours. After that 3 days, another 2 days rest.

3)
    Nothing happen within this 3 days, so I left it to rest another 2 days. They are both coiled like a X inside chilling around, the male doesn't show any interest.

4)
    Again, nothing happen. The male just doesn't show interest anymore.

I already tried for 4 times a set of ( 3 days together, 2 days rest routine). In 2 days time would be their 5th set. I do offer food and both of them took once so far.

I would like to know, will they still lock even though the female already gravid ?
    Will the male show any interest in mating when the female is already gravid with its own sperm ?
    What can enhance the male to be interested again? (I already tried putting another male skin)
    Normally how many locks to take before she is really pregnant?
    What else should I do to make this breeding successful?

Fyi, I do not have another male with me to produce competition. www.jordansanctuary.blogspot.com
    The link is my page and I guess that is a confirm lock right?

Any advise will be appreciated, thanks !!

Thanks
    if you have another male put him in the tank with her and let him secent up the place for a couple hours. watch to make sure they dont lock up if you dont want him to sire.
    dont just put the other males skin in! i tried that didnt work for me. had to put another male in.
    his smell will drive the other male crazy jealous and take his lady back.

its gonna take alot more than one or a couple lock ups till she is gravid.
    and some lock up all the way till ovulation. keep it a little cooler-hot spot and take out the hides.
    and anything else that they can rest behind or under.
    just the water bowl.

try not to bother them much, and they'll do the rest.

edit: i forgot, if you know how to pop, pop another male and put his sperm plugs on her back, then introduce the first male back in with her,
    that too will get his animal instinct to kick in and say "she's mine!"

oh you can also put some substrate from the 2nd males enclosure into her's to aid in scenting.
    the first male will not stand for a female he thinks there's compitition for.
    Last edited by sookieball; 12-11-2010 at 07:17 PM.
    0.1 Normal (Sookie)
    1.0 Pastel (Syler)
    0.1 BumbleBee (Scully)
    1.0 Butter (Gimme)
    0.1 Mojave (Saffy)
    1.0 Albino (Leopold)
    1.0 Pinstripe (Triston)
    1.0 Basset/Beagle Mix (Bilbo)
    0.1 Basset Hound (Mimi)
    a bunch of red eared sliders
    and the oldest, male pit/mix Corky. 18yrs strong.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    One or both might have gone into a shed cycle. You can try a 2nd male in there with them, or (if you don't want to risk a mixed-sire clutch) putting the sperm plugs from a 2nd male on her back to make the 1st male THINK there's a 2nd male somewhere... but if neither thing works, let them have a break for a week or two. She still has to spend a month or two growing follicles, and I gather locks are most critical in the couple weeks before ovulation?

My pied female has gone into shed TWICE since I first tried introducing her to my male. Last time cycle took extra long because she was hanging out on the cool side hugging the water bowl. But that means building, I guess, and she's locked up with him right now. So it's all good.

Have you tried palpating your female? If so, how big are the follicles? If not, links:

http://heathersherpsblog.blogspot.co...palpating.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/jkobylka#p/u/11/TlX9y6wyrsw

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    (I love that Markus Jayne page. He probably thinks that the lightning pied is the best project he's ever done, but no, it's that awesome how-to breeding webpage.)

Thanks

Re: Ball python not showing interest in locking up anymore??

Quote Originally Posted by loonunit View Post
    One or both might have gone into a shed cycle. You can try a 2nd male in there with them, or (if you don't want to risk a mixed-sire clutch) putting the sperm plugs from a 2nd male on her back to make the 1st male THINK there's a 2nd male somewhere... but if neither thing works, let them have a break for a week or two. She still has to spend a month or two growing follicles, and I gather locks are most critical in the couple weeks before ovulation?

My pied female has gone into shed TWICE since I first tried introducing her to my male. Last time cycle took extra long because she was hanging out on the cool side hugging the water bowl. But that means building, I guess, and she's locked up with him right now. So it's all good.

Have you tried palpating your female? If so, how big are the follicles? If not, links:

http://heathersherpsblog.blogspot.co...palpating.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/jkobylka#p/u/11/TlX9y6wyrsw
    Thanks loonunit, but is it once they are gravid on the first day itself you can start palpating them? or I should let them develop a little first? I'm not sure now, just got them both a meal and hope for the best tomorrow night

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sookieball View Post
    if you have another male put him in the tank with her and let him secent up the place for a couple hours. watch to make sure they dont lock up if you dont want him to sire.
    dont just put the other males skin in! i tried that didnt work for me. had to put another male in.
    his smell will drive the other male crazy jealous and take his lady back.

its gonna take alot more than one or a couple lock ups till she is gravid.
    and some lock up all the way till ovulation. keep it a little cooler-hot spot and take out the hides.
    and anything else that they can rest behind or under.
    just the water bowl.

try not to bother them much, and they'll do the rest.

edit: i forgot, if you know how to pop, pop another male and put his sperm plugs on her back, then introduce the first male back in with her,
    that too will get his animal instinct to kick in and say "she's mine!"

oh you can also put some substrate from the 2nd males enclosure into her's to aid in scenting.
    the first male will not stand for a female he thinks there's compitition for.
    Thank you Sookieball, yeap, just gotten a meal into them, tomorrow night will introduce another male into the tub.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I would how ever move to 3-4 days rest and 3-4 days in. 2 days rest is pushing it on males, especially if their not locking. Rest always plays a huge role in this and keeping them together longer doesnt mean they will breed more.

Just give them time as its still early as many big breeders havent even started pairing yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    I would how ever move to 3-4 days rest and 3-4 days in. 2 days rest is pushing it on males, especially if their not locking. Rest always plays a huge role in this and keeping them together longer doesnt mean they will breed more.

Just give them time as its still early as many big breeders havent even started pairing yet.
    Thank you richsballpython, will bear that in mind. Perhaps I'm pushing it too hard as my spider male is still a virgin

Thanks
    Markus Jayne only breeds his females once every shed cycle! You are breeding him too often! Once every two weeks is more than enough for him! Markus Jayne will answer any questions emailed to him within 2-3 days! He has some really nice stock too! I own some!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seeya205 View Post
    Markus Jayne only breeds his females once every shed cycle! You are breeding him too often! Once every two weeks is more than enough for him! Markus Jayne will answer any questions emailed to him within 2-3 days! He has some really nice stock too! I own some!
    What He does and or any other does isnt practical for small hobbyist breeders. Many dont have the option to ultrasound females for follicle growth and know when to put males in and minimize breeding time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast