Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,926

1 members and 2,925 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

very light whistling noice comming from new snake!

hey all! i just bought a normal ball python, ive had him for about a month now, and he has been perfect, ( i think ) and just a couple of minutes ago, he has whistled/ muffled/ wheezed about 2 times every 10 seconds since ive had him out. he has eaten 3 times since ive had him, and shed once, although he still does has some skin in front of his eyes, on his nose, and on his eyes, everywhere else he got off though. this has just started today and im super scared, can ANYONE help me please im really scared! i have to thermometers in his tank, one is ambient, above his hide. that one reads 84, i have one ground level in his tank, right infront of his hide, that one reads about 80-85. i also have a 60 watt heat lamp, right above his hide, and a heat pad directly under his hide, anybody got any suggestions, times are tough so i cant take him to a vet :'(.

Thanks

Re: very light whistling noice comming from new snake!

It all depends. I had a similar question about my first bp, and someone suggested that it may be caught shed in the nose. She'd only make the noise when she was poking around and after she had a good shed i didn't hear it again unless she was taking large breaths next to my ear. Keep an eye out for mucous around the nose and mouth if you're worried about an RI. You could probably bump up the heat a little more on the warm side if possible. If you've got a tank, try to put something around the glass and the screen to insulate the heat in a little bit; I put aluminum foil around one and it helped a lot. Since its still got some shed left on him, it wouldn't hurt to raise the humidity either.

hope this helped!
    0.1 normal - Constantine, 0.1 Spider - Lilu
    3.0 doggies -Charlie (rottweiler), Luke (golden retriever), Dallas (german shepherd)
    1.0 Betta fish - Norris
    1.0 Rat - Forrest (R.I.P Mook and Milo)
    1.0 frenchman

Thanks

Your setup sounds off to me. Hot spot should be around 90, not 85, and ambient should be 80.

What is the humidity like? You say you have a heat lamp, shouldn't need it if the UTH is getting to 90 on the hot spot.

Though, for his health, it's probably stuck shed on his nose making a whistling noise. Give him a little bath, and see if it comes off.
    Also, if he's new and not used to being handled, he might be hissing at you, nothing big, sometimes happens when they're young, they grow out of it.

Most likely though, stuck shed. However, take the advice on the setup anyway.

Thanks
    thanks man! my mom said he is fine! but idk she dosnt have any experience with reptiles, im really into getting a couple more snakes and im putting 110% into learning more about husbandry for each type of snake. im more intrested in smaller snakes, well, not smaller, but not a retic. i like the balls and red tails. they are my fav. my mom was very sceptical about getting my first bp. and now i think she's hooked, maybe its somthing we can take up doign together. looks like you got a redtail and a burm! and 3 dogs. uve gotta live ina huge house for that! anyways thanks so much, im going to keep a very close eye on him

Thanks
    I heard a sound like you are describing from my snake of similar age. I heard it for 1 day or so maybe 3 weeks ago. I have not heard it since. I was worried at the time but hes fine now. I wouldnt worry unless it persists.

Good humidity and giving him a bath once in a while is always a great idea.

Digital thermometers with probes are great because you can put the probe under the substrate under the hide to get a good idea of the temp inside the hide. They only cost about 10 bucks from any department store. If its 85 outside its probably a degree or two warmer inside the hide.

Last edited by hig; 12-10-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brikwall96 View Post
    looks like you got a redtail and a burm! and 3 dogs. uve gotta live ina huge house for that!
    haha, I wish i did have a huge house, I always feel like I'm living in a zoo. Its not so bad since one of the dogs lives with my parents, but he's my dog when I'm at home. One of the dogs is 120 lbs and bigger than I am though so its definitely a perpetual tornado. You're lucky to have the support of you mom on this, listen to her; mommas always right (well, most the time) whether or not you like it
    0.1 normal - Constantine, 0.1 Spider - Lilu
    3.0 doggies -Charlie (rottweiler), Luke (golden retriever), Dallas (german shepherd)
    1.0 Betta fish - Norris
    1.0 Rat - Forrest (R.I.P Mook and Milo)
    1.0 frenchman