Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,095

1 members and 3,094 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Does my tub look ok?

I hope my mom doesn't see this post...I feel bad, but I couldn't take it anymore.
    The photos I have seen of snake cannibalism were too much. They were stuck in my head. These snakes are my babies, not just a pet.
    I was freaking out about still having Cleo and Madison housed together.
    My mom didn't want me to put them in tubs, so I have Nergal and Cleo in separate tanks, and I took my clothes out of one of my sterilite carts and put Madison in the top drawer.
    I put Aspen shaving down to cover it, slid a heat mat underneath with a piece of construction paper over the top of the heat mat (so it isn't directly touching the tub). I put a metal container in and filled it with water, and put a Zilla hide log on the hot spot. I'm going to try to make her another hide for the cool spot.
    I don't have a thermostat yet to control the temperature. My mom said at one point she would buy another tank for Madison since she didn't want her in a tub, but never did, and now I can't find anymore good Craigslist deals on them.
    I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to do something. I don't want any of my babies to die, be stressed, or eat each other.
    So, does this tub look ok? Money permitting I will buy a thermometer and thermostat, and make her another hide.
    I think it looks ok though. She has lots of room.
    Here are photos:

Can take more photos if needed.
    Last edited by shelliebear; 12-09-2010 at 11:42 PM.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shelliebear For This Useful Post:

shorty54 (12-09-2010)

Thanks
    Great idea!

If you can, punch a small hole on the top of the rack and the handle of the tub, then slide a twisty tie or something through both holes to "lock" the drawer. This way, you can be sure the snake won't push the tub open. They can be surprisingly strong!
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (12-09-2010)

Thanks
    hmm, she still hasn't settled down since I put her in there. She's moving around a lot, hasn't gone in her log yet, keeps rubbing her nose on the side of the tub. Is she stressed? Is this normal?
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    Yes, perfectly normal for a bp getting moved to a new tub. It could take a few days - maybe even a week before he settles down. You might wanna make sure that heat mat is not too hot. Other than that, you're doing good!
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (12-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanks anatess.
    The heat mat, on the bottom side, feels warm to my hands. On the side Madison is on, through the substrate, I cannot feel any temperature difference to my hand, which I think is good, since that means it should be ok for her, right? I know what feels warm to us could be hot to them. I can't feel a difference between the cool spot and the hot spot on her side.
    Is that good?
    I'm trying so hard to take care of them. I love them to pieces, but it's hard when my mother disagrees with my husbandry. I need a house Too bad they don't come free.
    2.3 normal ball pythons

Thanks
    Awsome idea and great job taking care of your babies!
    Shorty
    Voo Doo Reptile

www.iherp.com/shorty54

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shorty54 For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (12-09-2010)

Thanks
    Also, just so people know we are trying to hard to take care of our snakies...Max pawned his engagement ring this month (we'll hopefully buy it back next payday) so we could have enough money to feed the snakes.
    So, I really hope I'm doing ok with this move. I know my mom will be upset when she finds out. I hate keeping secrets. She's my best friend. This sucks, but I need my snakes to be ok.
    She says she can't believe I can feed them live food and she looks up to me for it. I just tell her my kids are my snakes, and they have to eat like everyone else. I love them lots!
    2.3 normal ball pythons

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts

Re: Does my tub look ok?

[QUOTE=shelliebear;1472460]I don't have a thermostat yet to control the temperature.
    [QUOTE]

Please get a t-stat asap.
    Last edited by jben; 12-10-2010 at 12:04 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jben For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (12-10-2010)

Thanks
    I don't know... I might get bashed for this, but I feel like I have to say something. If you can't afford something as little as another tank for your snake, let alone a much needed thermostat, that you have to pawn your own "engagement" ring.. Maybe you should think about rehoming your snakes to someone who can afford these things so your snakes don't get hurt. Then, maybe, once you get a job and some money, get a setup completely ready before hand, and look into adopting another snake.

Just my $0.02....
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarin For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (12-10-2010)

Banned
    Thanks
    I am leaving my opinion about money/keeping the snake out of this, but I will add this.

Looks like your "tub" is a drawer tub. I have heard that sometimes snakes will get out of these drawers through the encaved areas on the lid and escape out the back. Never experienced this myself (never used them) but have been told this could happen by others.

As far as does the tub look good? Kinda..........but husbandry right now is horrible

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MitsuMike For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (12-10-2010),shelliebear (12-10-2010)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast