Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

3 members and 3,307 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

"Dangerously Devoted" On Animal Planet

Theres this new show on animal planet last night I watched. It's about 3 people who own animals. One guy lives with his wife and has 7 snakes. Another guy lives on the road with his dogs, alligator, iguanas, and possums. The other lady has 200 dogs in her house. Guess who the people were made out to be the craziest? The guy with the 7 snakes and the guy with the alligator in iguanas. It's always the reptile people who are the craziest. They make the lady with 200 dogs and a rifle in her hand to "protect herself from other crazy people" (heh, yea, THEIR the crazy ones huh?) look completly normal.

I'm thinking about just not watching animal planet anymore. They are truly pissing me off. I'm getting tired of people saying I'm weird and crazy for having 3 snakes. And the people who are calling me crazy own a million cats and dogs. Yea, well guess what? I don't spend 200 dollars a month on dog and cat food. I don't have to get them rabies shots either, or once a month checkups. I don't have to take them for walks everyday or have one of my shoes chewed in half every other day.

Hhaha! Who's crazy now huh?
    Last edited by Bellabob; 12-09-2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: "Dangerously Devoted" On Animal Planet

I didn't watch the show, so I may be way off... But sometimes we go into a show like that EXPECTING them to make the reptile lovers out to be nuts...so that is the filter we view it with, and that is what we'll see, regardless of how balanced it might have been presented.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    I didn't watch the show, so I may be way off... But sometimes we go into a show like that EXPECTING them to make the reptile lovers out to be nuts...so that is the filter we view it with, and that is what we'll see, regardless of how balanced it might have been presented.
    As this may be true, AP does always find a way to fit in how reptile lovers are cooks, and weirdo's who have no friends and live alone and talk to there snakes. I have watched enough to know.

Thanks
    I am so sick of networks coming out with shows to make people who own exotics pets seem insane. I read the info about this show and all it does it criticize people who own exotics. ALL ANIMALS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE DEADLY.

People need to realize that this is America. Land of the Free.. supposedly. Why should the government be able to tell us what pets we can and can't have? Who are others to judge us for owning our exotics and who are government officials to decide any of this?
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redstormlax12 View Post
    I am so sick of networks coming out with shows to make people who own exotics pets seem insane. I read the info about this show and all it does it criticize people who own exotics. ALL ANIMALS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE DEADLY.

People need to realize that this is America. Land of the Free.. supposedly. Why should the government be able to tell us what pets we can and can't have? Who are others to judge us for owning our exotics and who are government officials to decide any of this?
    Totally. If i wanted to have a Bengal Tiger as a pet (which I don't) I should be alowed to. If it kills me, oh well! My fault! But keeping a few snakes, or even a few hundred snakes, would be a lot less scary and a lot less work than keeping a Bnegal Tiger.
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

Thanks

i got two dogs but i loooooooveeeeeeeeeee my bphes nice ad my freinds get creeped out by him its hallaries

Thanks
    Totally. If i wanted to have a Bengal Tiger as a pet (which I don't) I should be alowed to. If it kills me, oh well! My fault! But keeping a few snakes, or even a few hundred snakes, would be a lot less scary and a lot less work than keeping a Bnegal Tiger.
    If someone is hurt or killed because of their pet then that is their burden to bear. I will not tell you that you can't own a tiger because it may kill you. Thats not my place, nor is it anyone elses.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

If someone is hurt or killed because of their pet then that is their burden to bear. I will not tell you that you can't own a tiger because it may kill you. Thats not my place, nor is it anyone elses.
    Just to play devil's advocate here a bit....should the sale and ownership of bengal tigers (for instance) be completely unrestricted and unregulated? Sure...if a doofus owns one and it kills him, his own fault. But what about when the same doofus doesn't cage it properly and it gets out and kills my child?
    -- Judy

Thanks

That's exactly what I think as well. If we pay for it and we take care of it there should be no problem

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here a bit....should the sale and ownership of bengal tigers (for instance) be completely unrestricted and unregulated? Sure...if a doofus owns one and it kills him, his own fault. But what about when the same doofus doesn't cage it properly and it gets out and kills my child?
    then that ONE person can be punished to the full extent of the law

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast