Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

3 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran Jonas@Balls2TheWall's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Fedex associates dont know anything about reptiles shipping

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I keep all of my official paperwork that I received from FedEx in my glove compartment, so that I can easily run out and get them if I need them. They have verifiable contacts on them, including the live animal shipping desk. To date I haven't needed them.

Also, everyone I've had contact with, within FedEx has been very accommodating about shipping snakes, and I have a rep who is very engaged and involved (and I'm his first snake shipper account). I have no doubt that if I ran into trouble, it would simply take a call to my rep to get it sorted out. I guess my point is - don't be afraid to reach out to your rep - that's what he or she is there for - to help you get these types of situations sorted out for you.
    My Rep is very involved. I will call her and see if she can sort things out.

Just wondering, do you write the contents of he package on the box? Is it a requirement with fedex? I couldnt really find info on this in my paperwork.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    The Lacey Act, which is a Federal law, requires that you must state that the box contains live animals or wildlife, and that you must state the Latin name, common name, and number of animals in the box. This can either be written on the box, or you can put it under the shipping label in the pouch (or any other attached envelope that they can open without opening the box), so long as you write on the box that the information is under the label so they know where to look for it.

Failure to do so, and getting caught, means not only will the shipper get a hefty fine, but so will the recipient if they knew what was in the box and accepted it when it didn't have proper labeling. It's a serious law, though many get away with ignoring it every year. Those who don't get away with it suffer a big hurting on their wallet.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

BPnet Veteran Jonas@Balls2TheWall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Whoa I didn't know that. I did write the contents on the top styrofoam cover but I doubt that's enough. I will write it on the box next time and if they give me trouble ill ask them to speak with Carlos ( my Rep gotbme the name of their manager )

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    The Lacey Act, which is a Federal law, requires that you must state that the box contains live animals or wildlife, and that you must state the Latin name, common name, and number of animals in the box. This can either be written on the box, or you can put it under the shipping label in the pouch (or any other attached envelope that they can open without opening the box), so long as you write on the box that the information is under the label so they know where to look for it.

Failure to do so, and getting caught, means not only will the shipper get a hefty fine, but so will the recipient if they knew what was in the box and accepted it when it didn't have proper labeling. It's a serious law, though many get away with ignoring it every year. Those who don't get away with it suffer a big hurting on their wallet.
    I don't condone anyone not doing it, but have you personally ever heard of anyone who has been prosecuted for failure to do so? I haven't heard of even one case.

Thanks
    I don't know anyone personally (but, I don't get out much). I did read something written by a shipper who got caught, where he mentioned it, though.

Either way, there's nothing wrong with this law. It's a reasonable law, and it does no harm at all to obey it. It could potentially do a lot of harm not to. I wouldn't put any of MY customers in that position. It must be understood that the receiver of the package gets prosecuted as well, not just the shipper.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    Eclipse Exotics
    Author Website

Thanks

Can you please give an example of how you label this info on your boxes and were exacly you place it?

Thanks

Thanks
    Like most folks shipping reptiles, I label the outside of the box "Live Harmless Reptiles". I actually had some custom stickers made up to use, and they also say to avoid sunlight and extreme temperatures, because live animals are within.

On the top of the box, I add "More information under shipping label" to one of these stickers.

In the plastic pouch, under the label, I include a sticker or card that states "Ball Python (Python regius)" Number: 1 (for example--put however many animals are in the box).

This fulfills all of the labeling requirements for the Lacey Act. Placing the species and common name, and number on the outside of the box where it's easily visible instead of under the label would also fulfill the requirements, but I don't see the point in freaking out any ophidiophobes that might have to move the box. This way, anyone who wants to know what is in the box can open the shipping label pouch and look without disturbing the shipment (which is the intent of the law), but it's not right in their face if they don't care.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    Eclipse Exotics
    Author Website

Thanks
    Well to be fair, in the grand scheme things FedEx, a very very very small portion of their customers are shipping reptiles. And even further, to ship reptiles, you have to have a special wavier. So its not that surprising that your average FedEx employee would think that they don't do it.

I do drop mine off at FedEx kinko's, when I moved where I live now a couple of years ago, first time I dropped it off they tried refusing it, but I had my paperwork and they took it. Now I'm there so often they know what's in the box and know that it's OK.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    Like most folks shipping reptiles, I label the outside of the box "Live Harmless Reptiles". I actually had some custom stickers made up to use, and they also say to avoid sunlight and extreme temperatures, because live animals are within.

On the top of the box, I add "More information under shipping label" to one of these stickers.

In the plastic pouch, under the label, I include a sticker or card that states "Ball Python (Python regius)" Number: 1 (for example--put however many animals are in the box).

This fulfills all of the labeling requirements for the Lacey Act. Placing the species and common name, and number on the outside of the box where it's easily visible instead of under the label would also fulfill the requirements, but I don't see the point in freaking out any ophidiophobes that might have to move the box. This way, anyone who wants to know what is in the box can open the shipping label pouch and look without disturbing the shipment (which is the intent of the law), but it's not right in their face if they don't care.
    Thanks...I understand the basic "Live Harmless Reptile" part. I was wondering about the additional info to cover the Lacy Act.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jball1125 View Post
    My hub is difficult too. I did the same thing and just dropped it off without mentioning anything. My account reflects that I'm certified so I'm sure they can look that up if they hear some movement in the box or something (very unlikely) . I think the boxes do get treated with more care if they say live animal inside. The girl who took my box flipped it in the air as she walked to put it in the outgoing section. I had to get her attention and tell her "Do you not see the big red letters that say perishable and fragile and the arrows pointing UP" ..... I swear some of these employees just don't give a crap.
    I can guarantee you that they don't treat you box with any extra care. It gets stuck on the conveyer belt just like any other package and is dropped/thrown/slid just as much as any other package. Most of the package handling is done by machines so Fragile, perishable, Live animial is pretty meaningless. I have a buddy that worked for fedex for years and some of the stories that he has told me makes me surprised that any package makes it to it's destination undamaged.
    Last edited by J.Vandegrift; 12-14-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    John Vandegrift

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast