Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,165

0 members and 3,165 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Talking My little piggy: Eating after four days of owning- Safe?

I've read from many posts that many BP's reject food for the first few offerings once they are brought into a new home, but I offered Erikson a live fuzzy mouse yesterday (Tuesday) since it was one week since his last feeding even though he had only been with me for four days. I feel that he's a tad too skinny (62 grams, probably 14-17 inches, 12 weeks old) and his skin is a bit loose so I feel like he should not miss too many meals. He seemed well adjusted already so I figured I'd try it. At first I moved him to a tub I bought specifically for feeding. When I put the mouse in, he coiled in fear and the mouse nipped him, which upset me, so I tapped the mouse to make him stop. I then decided that maybe Erikson would feel more comfortable in his own setup. I put Erikson in his own cage then held the mouse in front of him. Within ten seconds, Erikson grabbed the mouse, coiled around it, and ate it, albeit backwards! I was so excited that he took it on the first offering! I just wanted to share my joy with you all and make sure that I didn't do anything wrong with feeding him before he'd been with me a week or more. Please don't attack or anything if I'm in the wrong, a polite response will be sufficient- Thanks!
    1.0.0 Normal BP
    *Erikson*
    DOB: August 2010
    Weight: 62 grams

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: My little piggy: Eating after four days of owning- Safe?

There is really nothing wrong with feeding the snake as early as you did since he ate for you. It sounds like he is adjusting just fine and congrats on the successful feeding.

BPnet Veteran majorleaguereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: My little piggy: Eating after four days of owning- Safe?

There is no problem with offering food when you receive a ball python. Typically a couple days to adjust is plenty long enough. Sometimes they eat, sometimes they don't.