Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,201

2 members and 3,199 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

1st timer over here!!!!!!!!!

Alright, let me start off by saying i am extremly new to owning a ball python,. I purcheched it from the local exotic pet store for $75. Its a couple months old and eating F/T fuzzy every week, Thats what they said. About it, he has just been runin back and forth all day. I finally gaved in and held it for just a few min. The pet store sold me an ECO EARTH coconut fiber substrate, Didnt know if that was any good. But yea a pretty active snake.

Thanks
    Your snake should settle down in a week or so, once it gets used to its new home =) and while eco earth isn't BAD for snakes, it's expensive, and you could be using something as cheap as newspaper or paper towels. I think the general population here uses aspen bedding, which (at least by me) is cheap and comes in pretty huge bags. It all depends on how much you want to spend to make your cage look nice.

You should be sure to check out the ball python care sheet (found here: Ball Python Care Sheet). Do you have a glass cage or a plastic tub? Make sure you have some sort of heat source (Under the Tank Heaters are preferred, as snakes need belly heat--to be used ONLY with a thermostat/rheostat).

The community here is really great, and if you have any questions, the chances are that SOMEBODY here will have the answer--if not multiple people! Welcome to BPnet, and congrats on your first ball python! I'm sure you'll soon be as addicted as the rest of us are

Thanks
    I would highly recommend you read this caresheet. It will give you sound advice. It was put together by some experienced folks on this board. Good read.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Thanks
    Welcome! My advice to new owners is generally the same thing: prepare to spend a lot of time on this forum. The people here are helpful and know what they are doing. They have got me through my first two years and I still keep coming back to learn more.

Enjoy your snake!
    0.2 - Ball Pythons
    1.1 - Canines
    0.1 - Rats
    1.1 - Children

Thanks

Re: 1st timer over here!!!!!!!!!

Forgive me if this may come off a bit rude but generally "first timers" have a completely bad setup

Like everyone has said read over the caresheet and if you want the best advise you can get for you and you snake list the COMPLETE setup

How you heat it
    What controls your heat
    How you measure your temps
    How you measure your humidity
    The size of it
    Number of hides

If anything is wrong or not "generally done that way" we will let ya know and you may fix it if you like or do it your way (I suggest you list your setup just so we can make sure your on the right track and if not steer you in the right way )
    Mike

Thanks

Congrats on you becoming a BP owner. I'd recommend looking on this site and others for how people have their terariums set up. It's actually all about keeping the temps right.
    Shorty
    Voo Doo Reptile

www.iherp.com/shorty54

Thanks

congrats! i can still feel the natural high when i got my first BP and got tagged by the addiction.

we would like to see your BP hope you could take some pix.