Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,150

0 members and 3,150 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question New snake.... Feeding HELP PLEASE....

I adopted a 09' pastel male about 2 weeks ago from a kid who thought a snake sounded like a "fun" pet... Anyway,,, he had been feeding him 1 f/t med sized mouse every 2 weeks. He way due to eat on the 20th and I saw normal signs of agression from being hungry so I fed him one of his normal meals well he still snapped at everything till I gave him a 2nd mouse...

my question is... He is 151 grams (just had him on the scale), would it be better to feed him one med mouse a week? One med mouse is les than 15% of his weight so it does not seem like enough for him every 10-14 days. But 2 seems like toooo much being 24%. .

am I better off feeding him weekly or bi-weekly?
    and how much? How offten? I'm new to having a younger snake. I'm a 800g or better girl..

oh yea he ate on the 20th and it's been almost a week, if I'm going to switch him to weekly feedings should I do so a week from the last feeding or wait till like the 1st at the 10 day mark or somethimg like that?

any feeding advice for this little guy will be gladly taken.

oh yea and he is like 27in long... And 151g is that an ok weight for his size??

Thanks
    He should weigh alot more than that for a '09! My '09 spider is about 650 grams. I would feed him a large adult mouse or rat pup every 5 days! Once he eats well then try switching to rats so you can give him bigger prey items later down the road! He will gain weight fast with this schedule! It he ate on the 20th then I would feed him now! Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to seeya205 For This Useful Post:

NikkiePastel (11-27-2010)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: New snake.... Feeding HELP PLEASE....

I would say weekly as well. You have to get some weight on him

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My suggestion would be to contact a herp vet for the best feeding suggestions. Too often or too large of prey could cause more harm than good. With any species of animal too quickly of gaining of body weight can be bad, especially if that animal is underweight due to malnutrition. Huge amounts of food can cause damage to organs. Again I would talk to a herp vet and if there are none in your area I would give small prey over large prey.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwagon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: New snake.... Feeding HELP PLEASE....

Thanks guys... The kid who had him had no idea how to care for a snake. He was living in a 12x12 5in tall box at 27 in...

I knew his feeding was way off but was bot sure how to get him on track.. He is beautiful and I can't wait to see how bright he is once his eating, shedding and living cond. Are right how they should be.

it's been 6 days so I'm going to go and feed him a med mouse now... I will keep you all posted on his weight gain over the next few weeks/months...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiePastel View Post
    Thanks guys... The kid who had him had no idea how to care for a snake. He was living in a 12x12 5in tall box at 27 in...

I knew his feeding was way off but was bot sure how to get him on track.. He is beautiful and I can't wait to see how bright he is once his eating, shedding and living cond. Are right how they should be.

it's been 6 days so I'm going to go and feed him a med mouse now... I will keep you all posted on his weight gain over the next few weeks/months...
    Got any pictures? I can't even imagine an '09 male at 150g.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to spitzu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spitzu View Post
    Got any pictures? I can't even imagine an '09 male at 150g.

He is the one in my avatar.!. He is so damn small for a 09', the only reason I "know" he is a 09" is he still had the box marked and labeled from the reptile expo and the paperwork on him..

I have got to get this little guy where he needs to be for his age.. he is so sweet and now he has a fair shot in life.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Vet definitely. But I would start with a med mouse every 5 days. Treat him like a baby. An 09 isn't a baby, but he's too small to be considered anything else. You can always slowly up his prey size to a larger mouse or rat pup as he starts to do well and gains a bit. He's snapping cause he's starving but you don't want to give him too much too soon. Thanks for rescuing him!!!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I would stick with one med mouse on a regular 5 or 7 day schedule till you see how he handles it.

If he seems ok then you can move up to 2 med mice after 4 or 5 feeds and monitor him again.

This should let him adapt to a more regular feeding schedule with the least strain on his system.

I'm probably being slightly overcautious but it's better to do that that shovel food into him and having him regurge or anything.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    I agree with Derek,

Smaller more frequent meals for now, then once he's gaining some size you can go larger with prey.

Poor little lamb, he reminds me of my Mystic.

We "rescued" him from someone who was trying to pass him off as a cinnamon on Craigslist. I could tell from the pics he was no cinny, but the guy was close and hubby wanted a pet. When we got there, they told us he was almost 8 months old and they fed him one pinky mouse a month. And yes, I posted that right, one pinky mouse per MONTH. He was skinnier than my little finger, and had been handled so roughly by those clowns he snapped at everything.

We talked them down to $45 for him, and took him home. That was in July. We started him out on a fuzzy mouse every 5 days because he physically couldn't handle anything bigger. With patience and time, he grew more normally, and this winter he's a healthy 680 + grams. You'd never believe he started out so badly neglected and tiny.

So small frequent meals, patience and care and he should come around just fine.

Gale
    Last edited by angllady2; 11-26-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

17. The Following User Says Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast