Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

4 members and 2,807 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question New BP Question/Advice

I got a two month old ball python on 11/20/2010. I'm not sure if this is unusual or not, but he never goes up the tree limbs I have for him. Obviously, the basking light sits right above the limbs, so I thought he would use it more often. Also, I have never seen him, or any sign of him, going into the water/soaking bowl.

I may just be over-analyzing the situation and need to wait to learn his behaviors. However, any advice is welcomed. I have listed a URL below of an image of his set-up.

http://tinypic.com/r/99qjcz/7

Thanks

Re: New BP Question/Advice

Ball pythons don't climb much, they're mainly terrestrial, so don't be surprised if he never uses the branches. Ball pythons are quite the homebodies, so they tend to hide about 80 - 90 % of the time, and they don't really soak much either, it depends on the individual. I know my male hates getting wet, so he hardly ever soaks, and I have a friend whose snake will soak in shed. It just depends.

From what I see in the picture, you use a log hide, which aren't the best because they're open on both sides, so it doesn't feel secure, and it's also rather big for him. The general rule for hides is the tighter the better lol.

Also, just a side note, you might want to remove that big branch in the center of the cage right under the heat lamp because that would allow him to get really close, and it can get quite hot up there near the heat lamp. And the dial thermometers that you have in there aren't going to be of much use, because you can't get the temperature of the actual bedding. You could either go with a thermometer with a probe, or with an infrared temperature gun.

Are you using anything to regulate the heat lamp? A lot of new owners get heating devices and think that they wouldn't get too hot, but the truth of the matter is that ball pythons don't need very high temperatures, and that most heating devices get way too hot for a ball python. If I were in your place, I would ditch the lamp and opt for a heat pad under one half of the tank, because it will keep your humidity better and it will benefit the snake because they use belly heat to digest, so it's best if the ground of their enclosure warms up. Also I'd go for smaller hides that are closed on both ends, and put one on the hot side and one on the cool side.

Congrats on the new ball python! Welcome to the addiction
    Last edited by Alexandra V; 11-24-2010 at 09:16 PM.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ball pythons are very sedentary creatures by nature. Sometimes they enjoy climbing when they are young and small...but not always. And they are not inclined to soak either. Again, some will, but it's not a typical behavior for them. A bowl large enough to soak in is NOT a necessary part of their environment, but it can help maintain proper humidity sometimes. Same with the branches...they're not necessary to have. In fact, having an enclosure that is high enough to allow for climbing branches may make it that much harder to maintain the proper temps and humidity.

Critiques on the set-up in your picture...

It's way big for a baby ball python...but sometimes they don't mind a big enclosure. If he's eating regularly, then it's not a big deal. If he won't eat for you, then you might consider moving him into something much smaller.

It does not appear that you can maintain a proper heat gradient with that set-up. Do you know what the ambient temps are throughout the bottom of the cage? Are they steady? Or do they rise and fall?

Ball pythons prefer very snug, tight little caves for hides. The half-logs rarely give them the kind of security they need. Hides need not be expensive...just a solid-colored plastic bowl turned upside down with a little cave-door cut out of it will work fine. Two snug hides...one in the warm area and one in the cool...and the snake will never have to choose between feeling secure and deciding what temp it wishes to hang out in.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Both lexxielightning and JLC have given great advice! I would recommend you checking out this caresheet: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet
    Follow that and you will have one happy little snake! Congrats on the new pet and yes welcome to the addiction!

Registered User Cody John Steele's Avatar
    Thanks

A big tank normally isn't a problem if you have plenty of hides. I would get a smaller hide or two though.. You don't have to have a thermometer with a probe right away (they are nice and I use them... but you don't "need" one) just move your temp and humidity gauge all the way to the bottom of the side of the tank, so it's rim sits on the bottom.

If your lamp at the top is your only source of heat, move it all the way to one side (over your hide preferably) That way you will have a more effective heat gradient. Sine it's a clamp style lamp you can adjust the height of the lamp - closer to the screen/or farther away - to get your desired temp ambient/hot spot temp.

Registered User Cody John Steele's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh, and congratz on your first bp! I wish you and your snake some happy years together!

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: New BP Question/Advice

Thanks for all the great advice. I tried to look up some guidelines before I was attacked by salespeople, but I guess it didn't quite work out. I will definitely be getting an under-tank heater and making a smaller hide or three. I'm sure he will be much happier. Thanks again, us newbies need all the help we can get.

Thanks
    My tank has a log similar to that and mind climbs it all the time. I actually screwed up and her tank is way too big for her (55 gallons) but she doesn't seem to have any issues with it. I think that some BPs like to climb and others not, part of their personality.
    iHerp - http://www.iherp.com/thedarkwolf25

1.1.0 Normal BP (Hera) (Eden)
    1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)
    0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Athena)
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa (Persephine)
    0.1.0 50% Dwarf Retic (Isis)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Spyro)
    3.1.0 Cats (Rajah, Muffin, Storm, Ladybug)

Thanks

Right after I moved the lamp he got into the tree! Thanks guys.

http://tinypic.com/r/35250fp/7

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Right now Lynn and Huggie Bear share a 55 (yes I know!!! They will be getting their own tanks turn of the new year) and you almost never see Huggie till about an hour after the lights go out. Lynn is out at any and all hours! If there is enough noise to bother her (vibrations), Lynn will come out of nowhere to check it out, but she is the one that likes to climb and roam too.

They are just like us, different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast