Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

1 members and 3,142 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation URGENT! death caused by internal something!!!!!

I purchased this '10 female woma ball python from a large scale reputable breeder some months ago in August. She has been eating like a garbage disposal since the week I brought her home. Two weeks ago she refused her first meal and the week after that she regurgitated a appropriate if not small rat pup. Saturday she was fine looking physically a bit thin from not eating at her size, but everything else was 100% Sunday night I checked on her and she was limp on the front corner and about two quarters down her body there was an enormous bloat or buildup of some kind and she was stressing to move an inch. My first reaction was that she was constipated, my first ball python went months without defecating. But this little girl had been urating and defecating normally. Every thing was looking good besides she was a little stressed and nippy more than any other of my snakes. I woke up today, went straight upstairs to check up on her to give the vet a call as to her condition. She was laying in the front of the bin, dead as a doornail, bloated, and the smell of death was very very strong. I lifted her up and there was a spot where the bloat was that looked like stomach acid was eating through her stomach.

I am not sure if something ruptured and ate the snake from the inside out. But here are the pictures and hopefully someone can help me figure out what this is before I get the body to the vet for autopsy. I believe that it is either protozoa or aomebiasis but my guess is as good as anyones in this until Wednesday when the herp vet gets into town.

Heres the pictures

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimirep...18171/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimireptile/5199013060/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimireptile/5199012912/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimireptile/5198418609/

Thanks
    that's horrifying.
    I'm very sorry for your loss
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

Thanks

Re: URGENT! death caused by internal something!!!!!

The green spot on the belly is normal for dead snakes.

This is not the cause of death.

Greets,

Yaron

p.s. DO NOT FREEZE the snake if you want to have an autopsy done. Cool it, but not freeze it.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I think that's actually her gall bladder?

It's quite common to see it in deceased animals.

As the others have said refrigerate the body if you want a necropsy done.

I'm not sure how related it is but you really should have waited longer after the first regurge to let the internal gut balance to recover before trying to feed her again.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

I think that's actually her gall bladder?

It's quite common to see it in deceased animals.

As the others have said refrigerate the body if you want a necropsy done.

I'm not sure how related it is but you really should have waited longer after the first regurge to let the internal gut balance to recover before trying to feed her again.

dr del
    She refused 2 weeks ago and regurged last week. We didn't try to feed her this week. She was fine on Saturday night and then extremely bloated on Sunday. We were going to call the vet this morning, but it was already too late. Whatever caused this killed her in fast. Does anyone have any ideas on what could have happened?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Ahhh,

Sorry for misreading your post about that.

I'm drawing a blank of the cause at this point then.

There were no temp problems or anything?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Temps are fine. She was one of many snakes in a rack. Our snake room is kept at 80 degrees and the hot side on the rack is 90. The racks are on Herpstats, and the room heater is on a Johnson Controls A-419. Everything is monitored daily and records are kept for all of our snakes. Other than the regurge last week, there was no indication of anything unusual until she bloated up last night.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Occasionally small snakes like that, particularly ball pythons in my experience, can develop a ball of urates right at the vent. They can't pass it and it causes them to become totally plugged. No urine or feces going out. Kidney failure is a possibility.

I'd get a necropsy just to be sure but that white lump at the vent looks like what I've seen many times.

A gentle massaging motion towards the vent will usually move these lumps out, provided they are not too large, and allow the snake to urinate as well.

If you do get a necropsy done, please let us know the results.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Keep us updated when he gets the autopsy.
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

Thanks

Oh my, I'm sorry to hear that, sorry for the loss, hopefully a necropsy gets everything figured out, really sorry for your loss here, always hurts to lose one
    2.7 Normal
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 NERD Lemon Pastel het. for Ghost
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Mojave
    1.1 Lesser
    1.1 Normal Het. Albino

1.1 Pastel Salmon BCI's(RTB) Poss het. for Albino

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast