Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

4 members and 3,265 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    I'm so sorry you and she had to go through this. You did the right thing though, hard as it was. It takes a lot to realize what is right and then actually do it, don't be too hard on yourself.

I have a gecko who has had a few (three that I know of) internal bleeds, she is wobbly now due to, I believe, brain damage from the lack of blood flow. I worry about her daily but, for right now, she is doing OK. The day will come when I may be faced with a similar decision, I only hope I can be as strong as you were...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine_3 For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (11-24-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Self harming behavior in leopard gecko

This was a tough thread to read, but an important one, I believe. We have to be reminded that along with the joys of owning these wonderful creatures comes the painful responsibility of having to make decisions like this. It is times like this when we have to put the animal's pain/suffering ahead of our own and do what is right for them.

Hon, I believe you absolutely did the right thing...and all throughout the little gecko's life, you did the very best that could be done for her. Though it may have been short, her life was filled with warmth, security, and good food...which is heaven for them.
    -- Judy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

jfreels (11-23-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    This was a tough thread to read, but an important one, I believe. We have to be reminded that along with the joys of owning these wonderful creatures comes the painful responsibility of having to make decisions like this. It is times like this when we have to put the animal's pain/suffering ahead of our own and do what is right for them.

Hon, I believe you absolutely did the right thing...and all throughout the little gecko's life, you did the very best that could be done for her. Though it may have been short, her life was filled with warmth, security, and good food...which is heaven for them.

BAH!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JLC again.
    You said it perfectly, Judy.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jfreels For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (11-24-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post

I wanted to take this time to thank you all for your advice on this. Jfreels, JLC, Clementine, Mrgbb and especially ColdBlooded.

Even with the animals I've lost lately I'm not giving up my hobby. These creatures give me so much joy every time I look at them that I am thankful I am even aloud to have them at all. Especially with thanksgiving coming up we should all be thankful even if the animals aren't with us for very long.

Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Hi there, sorry I'm late to this thread...

I am SO sorry for your loss. A very sad thread to read IMO putting her down was the right thing to do. Dr. Stahl is the best in the business we go there anytime we have problems.

A couple of things I did want to mention just in case since nobody else had mentioned it, I wonder if impaction could have been causing some of the initial problems. Females at six months of age can start ovulating even when you don't want them to, and can lead to impaction or the egg itself "bursting" inside the gecko or absorbing in the wrong area. The enigma gene totally causes spinning and circles, but some of the other signs seem a bit strange to me even with an extreme enigma case. It could also have been a severe case of calcium deficiency causing the shaking and eventually to seizures. She may not have been able to absorb it properly or severe damage may have been done to her before you got her since she already had the dent... but for future reference you can supplement liquid calcium to help with leopards that need quick help.

However, with the Enigma gene and the dent in her head I am sure everyone is correct and the most likely cause. I guess it really doesn't matter anymore, you did the right thing and I don't think there is anything you could have done to save her. Take what joy you can in giving her a good life for the short time she was able to have it. Sometimes that's the best we can do.

Sorry again for your loss
    Last edited by geckobabies; 11-25-2010 at 12:34 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to geckobabies For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (01-11-2011)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123