Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,002

0 members and 3,002 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PayPal fees

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: PayPal fees

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    If the above in bold was true gas station around the nation have been breaking User Agreements with CC companies for years. Every Gas station in my area has 2 separate prices Cash or Credit usually 3-5 cent difference
    Really? Not sure how much of "around the nation" are doing that. I've lived in six different states in the last eight years (and driven through dozens!), and have NEVER seen a gas station list two different prices for gas. The only exception would be the ones that offer a discount for using their own credit card...but that's not anything listed on the pump or street signs, either.

Maybe the state you live in allows some sort of exception for gas stations?

EDIT to add one more thought: Just because CC's make merchants sign an agreement to not charge CC fees to their customers doesn't mean everyone abides by THOSE rules either. I've run across plenty of merchants that add a "convenience fee" for using a CC in their shop...but always private little mom-and-pop sort of operations. The big retailers wouldn't dare.
    Last edited by JLC; 11-21-2010 at 09:37 PM.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Really? Not sure how much of "around the nation" are doing that. I've lived in six different states in the last eight years (and driven through dozens!), and have NEVER seen a gas station list two different prices for gas. The only exception would be the ones that offer a discount for using their own credit card...but that's not anything listed on the pump or street signs, either.

Maybe the state you live in allows some sort of exception for gas stations?
    Ones in my state will allow their CC to be used as cash at the pump. But if you use a bank debit card or any other cc not with their name on it, your charged extra . When i get time ill take a picture of this and post it here.
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 11-21-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ones in my state will allow their CC to be used as cash at the pump. But if you use a bank debit card or any other cc not with their name on it, your charged extra . When i get time ill take a picture of this and post it here.
    Oh I believe you...I just don't think it's a common practice across the country. It certainly wouldn't surprise me to hear of a state creating laws to make exceptions so some businesses don't have to abide by other business's terms of service.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Oh I believe you...I just don't think it's a common practice across the country. It certainly wouldn't surprise me to hear of a state creating laws to make exceptions so some businesses don't have to abide by other business's terms of service.
    Exactly, which is why i only get gas from Gas stations that Locally owned and operated. Seems the fees get worse more in the city you are here than in the country where im at.

Thanks

Hmm weird. I actually get gas CHEAPER if i use my debit card.

I get a message from "Thorntons" saying

"Would you like to save $0.02 using your PIN today?"

Enter my pin and get $.02 cheaper on gas lol
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

It's one price for all out here, however, there is an ATM or debit or credit card machine fee. You pay that to use the machine as far as I can figure.

I just like cash. Like to be paid in it, like to pay with it.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    As far as the gas stations charging more at the pump, a lot of states allow it. California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, New York, Maine, Massachusetts, Oklahoma and Texas have laws against it (but some still do it). Most people don't know about this practice because the merchants don't make it public. You have to look at the price on the machine before you pay and then look at what it says after you start pumping. A lot of the times you will notice that the price has changed by about .05-.10 a gallon. Even though CT and NY have laws against it, it is still very common practice. That is unless these states did away with these laws.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, New York, Maine, Massachusetts, Oklahoma and Texas have laws against it (but some still do it).

Ha, does not surprise me that MA has a law against it (MA has a law about just about anything you can think of) -- and yet I can think of at least one gas station on my drive to school (in MA) that does that. Drives me nuts, too, because the cheaper cash price is the one advertised in big numbers on their billboard, but I always pay credit

Re: Paypal -- I think it's fairly logical to give a cash discount, because cash is better and easier for the seller in a lot of ways: no fees like a credit card, not going to bounce like a personal check, not as likely to be a forgery as a money order. If a buyer's paying cash, however, it's probably a local transaction, so I'm also likely to charge less anyway (even deducting shipping fees) due to the convenience to myself and safety to the animal of not having to ship.

I guess I can see the argument that if the buyer "insists" on paying via PayPal, they have some responsibility to eat the fees ... But I would argue that if the seller hates PayPal that much, he shouldn't even offer it as an option. Personally, I'm willing to pay for the major convenience of having the money in my account right that very moment -- even if PayPal does do some skeevy things, and it may make me grind my teeth a little to give them my dough. That isn't the buyer's fault!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    Just wanted to get others feelings and thoughts on the matter.

I have used PayPal before to purchase BP's and other things and as a seller. Now there is a small fee that you get the option to pay or to defer to the seller. If a seller wants to use PayPal shouldn’t they foot the small fee or do you think the buyer should pay the item price + shipping fee + PayPal cut?

As a seller I would never expect a buyer to pay the % that is charged by PayPal. It is my option to use PayPal and if I do so it should not be to the disadvantage of my clients.
    Just wondering as I have seen people get pretty upset if someone chose not to pay the small %.
    If the seller tells you to use paypal then I would say, the seller should pay the fee because they are forcing the use of paypal on the buyer. Now if the option is given to use another method of payment and the buyer wants to use paypal then the fee is all theirs.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Hey, if you want to mess with paypal's rules, that's fine...if you don't really need paypal. If you DO, then you ought to think twice about doing something that could jeopardize your paypal account.

I accept the fees myself, I would never charge a customer a paypal fee. It would be better to raise prices all around, then to do that. (You'd just get a bit extra if someone paid another way).
    Usually, though, that just isn't necessary. Paypal's fees for its services aren't unreasonable when you compare them with the fees charged by credit card companies. (Those are only reasonable if you do thousands of transactions).
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast