Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

1 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PayPal fees

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    If the seller is worried about the fee, I think the seller should say in the ad "$$$+ shipping (if using paypal an extra $$ fee is added)". then the buyer knows exactly what to expect, I give them my zip code, you tell me the grand total and there no misunderstandings.

Thanks

Re: PayPal fees

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    If the seller is worried about the fee, I think the seller should say in the ad "$$$+ shipping (if using paypal an extra $$ fee is added)". then the buyer knows exactly what to expect, I give them my zip code, you tell me the grand total and there no misunderstandings.
    They said its against paypals TOS to do that and can get acct locked as previously stated
    Last edited by BuckeyeBalls; 11-21-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

It's a simple fix guys. If you as the seller don't want to pay the fee, raise your price by 3% and just leave it at that. You don't have to account to any one for your pricing.

If you as the buyer don't want to pay them but the seller prefers that method, move on. It's the seller's call. I don't know why someone wouldn't accept a money order if they take paypal, but that's not my call.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

I don't charge my customers for using paypal. I eat the fees, and consider it a cost of convenience. I don't buy from sellers who advertise that people who want to pay via paypal have to add 3%.

When I buy something and use paypal, I always send extra to cover the fees. No reason, just always something I've done. I don't have any problem paying if the seller isn't standing there with their hand out to begin with.
    `*`

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts
    The few things I have sold that have went through paypal I have not and I will never ask a customer to pay for paypal fees.

I will have to admit that I am personally put off a bit by sellers that want to charge you the 3% for using paypal. But to each their own. They can choose to charge you the 3% and I or anyone else can choose to pass on the animal or product due to that.
    Jeff Bernard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

I've only sold one snake via paypal so far.

I paid the fees and made sure the buyer sent it as a transaction so that both sides had a clear understanding of what was going on.

I figured the fees were fair enough considering the simplicity of paying seemed to be an important point for the buyer.

I have no idea how much ( or how little ) protection each side has through using paypal as it was a live animal sale though. Anyone have any input on that?

dr del
    PayPal Still covers live animals to an extent. If Tracking numbers are provided proving your package was shipped and delivered to the person making the claim, then they are pretty much SOL.

But that wont work 100% of the time depending on the PayPal Worker handling the case and their mood that day.

One reason anything over $500 i do not accept paypal, but rather USPS money orders and or Certified Cashier Checks from Banks, as a Seller was scammed once.

Just keep documented proof of each shipment and emails encase something happens and the other party has buyer remorse.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-21-2010),HighVoltageRoyals (03-11-2011)

Thanks
    Yup, it's against their TOS. I won't do business with someone who actively breaks the TOS of them. It's a convenience for both parties. As a seller, I eat the fees to give convenience to the customer and myself, and as a buyer I expect the same from the seller.

If I see someone asking for the 3% fees, I won't even bother with them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by f4n70m View Post
    Me personally i would never buy through someone who made me pay the % that is charged through paypal.

To me thats like going to a store, swipe your card, and get charged $.10 because you used credit/debit
    Mastercard and Visa (and I believe all credit cards) have clauses in the contracts they have with vendors that use their services that stipulate that they are not allowed to charge a customer more for using a credit card than one paying with cash.

In other words, vendors are contractually obligated to NOT pass off the service fee to customers.

If someone expects payment through paypal, they should not pass the fee to customers. If a vendor doesn't want to pay paypal service fees, then they should never accept paypal payments.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

My personal thoughts on the issue.... Regardless of the fact that it's already against paypal's TOS to demand compensation for the fees...when I see a seller doing so, it looks petty and greedy in my eyes.

Would I pay it? Maybe...for a one-of-a-kind perfect sort of animal in which all other aspects of the transaction appear trustworthy and above board. But it still makes the seller look bad.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Mastercard and Visa (and I believe all credit cards) have clauses in the contracts they have with vendors that use their services that stipulate that they are not allowed to charge a customer more for using a credit card than one paying with cash.

In other words, vendors are contractually obligated to NOT pass off the service fee to customers.

If someone expects payment through paypal, they should not pass the fee to customers. If a vendor doesn't want to pay paypal service fees, then they should never accept paypal payments.
    If the above in bold was true gas station around the nation have been breaking User Agreements with CC companies for years. Every Gas station in my area has 2 separate prices Cash or Credit usually 3-5 cent difference

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast