Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,098

2 members and 3,096 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Humidity Control

Does anyone have any tips for good humidity control? I have Hera in a 55 gallon aquarium with a 150 watt infared heat lamp pointed at her water bowl to try and get around 50% humidity at all times. But the hydrometer that I have usually reads 40% (it is one of the analog ones and I have heard they can be inaccurate, not sure though).

I also just made a humid hide for her out of a tupperware container and some "frog moss" that I have well hydrated. Is the humid hide enough? I know that since it's a large enclosure that they have issues with humidity control. I have taken to misting the tank every few hours to try and keep the humidity up. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Re: Humidity Control

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkwolf25 View Post
    Does anyone have any tips for good humidity control? I have Hera in a 55 gallon aquarium with a 150 watt infared heat lamp pointed at her water bowl to try and get around 50% humidity at all times. But the hydrometer that I have usually reads 40% (it is one of the analog ones and I have heard they can be inaccurate, not sure though).

I also just made a humid hide for her out of a tupperware container and some "frog moss" that I have well hydrated. Is the humid hide enough? I know that since it's a large enclosure that they have issues with humidity control. I have taken to misting the tank every few hours to try and keep the humidity up. Any suggestions or ideas?
    try soaking a towel than squeezing it so its just damp than covering about 3/4 of the top of the tank, thats what i did with my tank and i got a constant 50-60 % humidity.
    Last edited by lyoto; 11-18-2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Thanks

I don't know your whole set up, do you have an UTH? Or are you just using the 150 watt infared heat lamp? This heat lamp is pulling some of you humidity out. So if your not using an UTH, I suggest you get one and plug it into a thermostat. If you haven't already, cover the lids with some foil, plexiglass or something. But leave some holes in it for ventilation. If you can do away with the heat lamp, I would. Just make sure the hot side of the tank is around 92 and the cool side is around 80. And what are you using for substrate? Cypress mulch is good at holding humidity as is a few others.

1.0 Spinner
    1.1 Mojaves
    1.2 Pastels
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.3 Normals
    1.0 Anerytheristic Corn
    55 gal. African Cichlids

4. The Following User Says Thank You to saber2th For This Useful Post:

thedarkwolf25 (11-18-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts
    I agree with everything Dave posted, but a 55g tank is way to big to control humidity and temps properly. Have you considered making the switch to tubs? Trust me you will never look back, there are a few great write-ups on tub setups on this great forum.
    Last edited by jben; 11-18-2010 at 02:24 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jben For This Useful Post:

saber2th (11-18-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saber2th View Post
    I don't know your whole set up, do you have an UTH? Or are you just using the 150 watt infared heat lamp? This heat lamp is pulling some of you humidity out. So if your not using an UTH, I suggest you get one and plug it into a thermostat. If you haven't already, cover the lids with some foil, plexiglass or something. But leave some holes in it for ventilation. If you can do away with the heat lamp, I would. Just make sure the hot side of the tank is around 92 and the cool side is around 80. And what are you using for substrate? Cypress mulch is good at holding humidity as is a few others.
    No we're not using an UTH, we have the 150 watt Infared and a smaller 50 watt in case we need it. I do have a small hand towel covering about 1/3 of the enclosure and it helps but not by much. The warm side of her tank is around 90 and the cool side is 79 with an area of about 82. She switches sides pretty frequently.

Right now her preferred side is the cooler one which has a climbing log on it, she loves to sit up there and relax. And we are using Aspen as our substrate which doesn't seem to hold much humidity. Are heat lamps not a preferred heating method? I thought they were pretty popular and effective.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jben View Post
    I agree with everything Dave posted, but a 55g tank is way to big to control humidity and temps properly. Have you considered making the switch to tubs? Trust me you will never look back, there are a few great write-ups on tub setups on this great forum.
    I haven't really considered tubs, I would prefer to keep using the tank if at all possible. The temps are good it's just the humidity that I am trying to get a good handle on.

Thanks

Are heat lamps not a preferred heating method? I thought they were pretty popular and effective.
    Now im not talking trash against beginners here we were all one at some point.

But Heat lamps + Ball pythons = Seems to be A beginner thing.

Will it work? Yes

Is it the best? No

Ball pythons do best getting their heat from the belly up. Thats why a UTH (hooked up to a tstat) are most recommended.
    Last edited by BuckeyeBalls; 11-18-2010 at 09:16 AM.
    Mike

Thanks

No we're not using an UTH, we have the 150 watt Infared and a smaller 50 watt in case we need it. I do have a small hand towel covering about 1/3 of the enclosure and it helps but not by much. The warm side of her tank is around 90 and the cool side is 79 with an area of about 82. She switches sides pretty frequently.

Are heat lamps not a preferred heating method? I thought they were pretty popular and effective.
    Towels absorb moisture, you want to put something that repels it. Like aluminium foil, plastic wrap, plexiglass. Even though your temps. are good, I would get some belly heat with a thermostat. It's better for the snake and it helps with the humidity. You can get an under the tank heater or get some Flexwatt heat tape, whatever, just make sure you get a thermostat and plug your heating device into that. I use Aspen bedding, but all my snakes are in tubs, except the cornsnake.
    The preferred method is tubs with belly heat. But I know you want to display your snake and thats why you use a tank. You can use a tank, but you should try and set it up like most of are saying. Trust us, we have been there.

1.0 Spinner
    1.1 Mojaves
    1.2 Pastels
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.3 Normals
    1.0 Anerytheristic Corn
    55 gal. African Cichlids

Thanks
    Ok, can the UTH do most of the heating power or will I need the smaller 50 watt bulb too? My wife won't be thrilled with having to spend more money on the snake so it might be a couple weeks or so until I get it. Does the humidity hide help at all? She went into it a few times and seems happy about it, but I don't think that will replace overall good humidity (damned colorado lol)

Thanks
    Alright I have an update on the humidity situation. I went to Scales 'N Tails to check on their UTH prices (youch those can get expensive) and talked to them about what they do for humidity control. They clucked their tongues at my 55 Gal tank and even more so when I told them that I used aspen bedding.

They showed me some of the Eco Earth (which my wife uses for her Firebelly frogs) and cypress bedding. They let me feel the batch they had in a few tanks and it was indeed much more humid. Since a bag was only around $25 (much cheaper than a fogger or a UTH) I picked one up and am giving it a try. I just swapped out the aspen for the cypress and will see how it does. Wish me luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast