Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

0 members and 3,315 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Why Are They Not Hairless?

Well My Cousin breeds rats for our ball pythons both his and mine and he had a hairless male then we got some hairless females to try to breed them and get hairless babies . so the hairless male was put in with two hairless girls and after a few weeks one had a litter of babies. i come over about every weekend to get food for my snakes and stuff. he showed me the babies and i was like cool. i knew they get a littel fuzz on them then they lose their hair. but it was diffrent every week i came back they were a little more big but still had their hair. so then after they gor weaned all of them had fur just like any other rat and we just fed them of but kept 2 girls and put them in the colony. so does any one know why this happed thank.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Re: Why Are They Not Hairless?

Maybe the male is a double rex hairless and the females are recessive hairless?
    Or visa versa?

Otherwise I'm not sure that's possible, as far as I know a recessive trait to recessive trait always produces recessive trait.
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 11-17-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    Jerry Robertson

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The answer is easy...

Genetics is not an exact science. It is based on tons of theories that have never been proven without error, doubt and/or guaranteed repeatability.

Thanks
    Suzuki. . . That is the stupidest post I have ever seen on this entire website!

Genetics is a pretty damned exact science.
    What happened with your rats is that your parents are most likely not hairless (hr/hr) but are double rex hairless (Re/Re). Is the hair curly or wavy?

It's also possible that you have gotten hold of a completely different hairless type gene.

Another thing to note is, if you DO get real hairless rats (hr/hr) then you shouldn't breed hairless males and females together. You have to breed a male hairless, with a female carrier.
    There are many reasons for this, but a main one is that milk glands on female hairless rats, most often do not function properly, and your litter will starve to death.

Can you get us photos of your rats that you bred? It would help determine what they are, and what we can tell you about them.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Suzuki. . . That is the stupidest post I have ever seen on this entire website!

Genetics is a pretty damned exact science.
    What happened with your rats is that your parents are most likely not hairless (hr/hr) but are double rex hairless (Re/Re). Is the hair curly or wavy?

It's also possible that you have gotten hold of a completely different hairless type gene.

Another thing to note is, if you DO get real hairless rats (hr/hr) then you shouldn't breed hairless males and females together. You have to breed a male hairless, with a female carrier.
    There are many reasons for this, but a main one is that milk glands on female hairless rats, most often do not function properly, and your litter will starve to death.

Can you get us photos of your rats that you bred? It would help determine what they are, and what we can tell you about them.
    I guess it ranks right up there with your false statement that African rodents are illegal (banned) huh?

Investigate the arguments (and their bases) against stem cell research to fully understand the statement that genetics IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE.

Thanks
    IT IS AN EXACT SCIENCE. Lol.

You tell me how it's not.

If I breed an albino mouse, with an albino mouse, I will get 100% albino babies.
    That's pretty exact.

You clearly don't know anything about genetics, so please don't make comments about something you don't understand being un-poven, just because you can't understand it. That's the wrong way of doing things.

There are people who understand it, and understand the science of it.
    I suggest that you learn more about it, before you going spouting off that it's un-proven and not exact.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

If I breed an albino mouse, with an albino mouse, I will get 100% albino babies.
    That's pretty exact.

You clearly don't know anything about genetics, so please don't make comments about something you don't understand being un-poven, just because you can't understand it. That's the wrong way of doing things.

I suggest that you learn more about it, before you going spouting off that it's un-proven and not exact.
    Boys boys boys, you are both correct in that you are both wrong.

It is an exactly unexact science. I can take two albino calkings and get all normal looking babies UNLESS I know that there are 2 forms of albinism that are not compatible.

I suppose the same sort of thing may be working with rats.

So, let's just all get along or take it to PMs, shall we?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (11-25-2010),dr del (11-18-2010),JLC (11-18-2010),Royal Morphz (11-18-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I breed my hairless males back to a daughter, and usually will get at least one or two healthy hairless babies. Most of the time, you can then breed a big/healthy grand baby back and sustain a good breeder line of hairless to hairless. I throw in an occasional dumbo in the line to get the babies bigger, but alot of the babies will be patchy instead of hairless.
    If you breed hairless to hairless, the clutch will be small, weak, and momma usually can't sustain enough milk, as posted above. Always breed a regular rat in the same tub, the moms will share milk, and the babies usually survive. Albeit, smaller and puny looking.
    Rex and double rex are totally different from hairless.(as stated above). Nothing good comes from mixing in my experience!

Thanks
    It's not an exactly unexact science.

If there are two forms of albinism, and you know about them, and you know they're incompatible, then you know exactly what you're going to get if you breed them to a normal who is not carrying albino.

And if -you- don't know, then somebody else will.

Say, in mice.
    You can have a pink eyed white, and you can have albino. They are not the same thing. But It is very much known what they will produce if bred, and what makes them the way they are. I mean, their entire genome is coded now. It's possible to litterally pick out individual parts of their code, and find out what that part is doing, and why.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

That's pretty exact.

if it were that simple they could eliminate diseases, deformaties etc. It is not an exact science.

And you can breed an albino rat and an albino rat and end up with rats with color. I have done it MANY times. You can breed two colored rats and end up with an albino rat. You can breed two tailed rats and end up with a manx.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast