Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,892

1 members and 1,891 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

jpriebe2 (44)

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum

Thread: depressing time

Banned
    Thanks

depressing time

i have been under alot of stress lately adn it has been affecting my snake reno. he has gotten really depresseed and dosent wanna eat he is in just as deep a depression as me. what should i do?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: depressing time

Quote Originally Posted by pixie6710 View Post
    i have been under alot of stress lately adn it has been affecting my snake reno. he has gotten really depresseed and dosent wanna eat he is in just as deep a depression as me. what should i do?
    Wow...I'm really sorry things have been hard on you lately. I can reassure you, however, that your depression is not contagious for your snake. Not unless the depression is affecting how the animal is physically cared for....in which case, the snake's problem is physical and not emotional.

Here's a sort of check-list of things to look into...

From our Caresheet:

WHY WON'T MY SNAKE EAT?
    In almost all cases, a ball python refuses to eat due to husbandry issues. Especially a young one. If your snake misses more than 2-3 meals (sometimes they will not want to eat while in shed) please check the following possible causes:

Lack of Security -- No hides, or hides that are too large or exposed (ie: half logs). They prefer dark, tight hides they barely fit into. Also, if the enclosure is too large, or too open (glass) or in a high traffic area with a lot of loud noise or movement. Another snake in the same enclosure can also cause serious security issues.

Over Handling -- Frequent intrusions into the enclosure, changes to the enclosure, and/or long frequent handling sessions can cause a shy snake to feel vulnerable and refuse to eat.

Improper Temps -- Temps that are too high or too low, or temps that fluctuate too much. Make sure you have an accurate and consistent read on your temps.

Improper Lighting -- Bright white lights shining directly into the enclosure, or 24 hour lighting can cause stress. Make sure there is some sort of day/night cycle.

Offering New Prey -- Changing prey species (ie: mice to rats) or methods (ie: live to f/t) can cause refusal. Such changes can be made, but may require patience and persistence.

Improper Offering of Prey -- Offering prey too frequently can do more harm than good. If a snake refuses, do not attempt to feed again for a week. Also, changing environments by moving to a feeding-box or removing hides and "furniture" can cause refusal in these shy snakes.

Prey Too Large -- Too large an item may intimidate a snake and cause refusal, or even a regurgitation if it is eaten. Also, if a ball python has eaten large meals in the past, it can cause a sudden an indefinite period of fasting.

Mites -- An external parasite common to snakes that must be treated and eradicated. A product called Provent-a-Mite (P.A.M.) is the safest and most effective method.

Seasonal -- Sexually mature ball pythons may fast for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months during their mating season (typically anywhere from late fall to early spring) especially if a sexually mature snake of the opposite sex is in close proximity.

Illness -- If all other possible reasons are eliminated, a vet check may be in order to look for internal parasites, as well as possible infections to the skin, scales, mouth or respiratory system.

Fortunately, ball pythons are extremely hardy snakes that can go for months (if necessary) of fasting without suffering any ill effects. This gives a responsible keeper plenty of time to figure out why the snake refuses to eat and get them on a regular, consistent feeding regimen.

And if you want more specific help than this, you'll need to give a detailed description of your current set-up and your history with the snake. (ie; cage type and size...heating elements...how do you measure temps?...substrate?....how old is the snake...how long have you had it...has it eaten for you regularly in the past...and how long since its last meal)....things like that.

Good luck.
    Last edited by JLC; 11-17-2010 at 06:56 PM.
    -- Judy

Banned
    Thanks
    he is in really good health other than the fact he doesn't wanna eat. he is normally a very active and loving lil bp but this past month after all this stuff has been going on in my life Reno got extremely inactive. he just sits there. he will let me hold him but he just seems like he doesn't care.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: depressing time

Quote Originally Posted by pixie6710 View Post
    he is in really good health other than the fact he doesn't wanna eat. he is normally a very active and loving lil bp but this past month after all this stuff has been going on in my life Reno got extremely inactive. he just sits there. he will let me hold him but he just seems like he doesn't care.
    Ok...I really think you're projecting emotions on your snake that simply don't exist. I'm not trying to argue your beliefs...you will believe what you will. My point, though, is that I can't help you make your snake "feel better" because I don't believe they are capable of being depressed.

I would encourage you to take comfort in the fact that your snake isn't depressed. Instead of focusing on all the stressful stuff going on...focus on something simple and rewarding...like checking over all the little facets of your husbandry and your snake's enclosure and trying to get it as perfect as possible...focus on getting the little guy eating again....and maybe your own problems will fade away for a little while as you focus on the needs of something else.

Read me: BEST WAY TO SET UP A BALL PYTHON HOME
    -- Judy