Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

1 members and 3,390 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heater ?

Thanks

heater ?

Just picked up a oil filled heater with a built in t-stat..man this thing came with so many warnings...anyway the t-stat has a cheesy little dial ..should i hook it up to my own t-stat cause i have an extra 1 hanging around if so where would i put the prob...sorry one more ? should i run it all the time or just at night..thanks
    1.0 Albino
    0.1 Spied
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Blue eyed lucy
    1.0 pied

Thanks

Re: heater ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc from CT View Post
    Just picked up a oil filled heater with a built in t-stat..man this thing came with so many warnings...anyway the t-stat has a cheesy little dial ..should i hook it up to my own t-stat cause i have an extra 1 hanging around if so where would i put the prob...sorry one more ? should i run it all the time or just at night..thanks
    Haven't seen that one before. Are you just trying to get the entire room one temperature? How would you provide warm/cool sides to the snake enclosures so that they can regulate their own body temps?
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks

yes the whole room my snakes are in a rack on heat tape..my room temp as of around 68 maybe low 70s in the day and it only gonna start getting colder..so yes trying to get ready 4 winter
    1.0 Albino
    0.1 Spied
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Blue eyed lucy
    1.0 pied

Banner Elk, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks

I have my oil-filled heater on a t-stat with the probe hanging freely (about 1 foot down) from the ceiling in the center of the room. It isn't the prettiest thing but does the trick. I definitely understand vamping up for the winter. I live in a 100 year old house on top of a mountain with no heat (we heat with wood) so keeping accurate and steady room temps are important. I keep mine at around 75 degrees in order to maintain proper 2 sided temps. Just make sure you keep the heater at least 5 feet from the cages. They def put out some heat.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thedeathhippie For This Useful Post:

Marc from CT (11-17-2010)

Thanks

I use an oil filled heater and I just use it as it came. Works fine, just have a thermometer dedicated for the room temp. and go from there. You will have to play with it to get it to the temp. you want. I see lots of people use the same style of heater.
    Sorry, didn't read the last question. If you plan on cooling down for breeding than you might turn it down or just shut off. They have a heavy duty timer that you should be able to plug the heater into.
    Last edited by saber2th; 11-17-2010 at 12:26 PM.

1.0 Spinner
    1.1 Mojaves
    1.2 Pastels
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.3 Normals
    1.0 Anerytheristic Corn
    55 gal. African Cichlids

7. The Following User Says Thank You to saber2th For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Yes you can run the heater with the thermostat, but there are some things to consider. You will need to know what the wattage handling capability of the thermostat is. On my oil filled heater there is a 3 positioned switch marked I-II-III, which amounts to Low-Med-High. This switch determines how fast the heater will heat up by using different wattages. For my heater, Low= 300 Watts, Med= 600 Watts, and High= 1500 Watts. I am using a Ranco thermostat which is rated at 1500 Watts. However, the Ranco and Johnson's that are pre-wired with a power strip can only handle 700 Watts due to the built-in protection cicuit in the power strip. I modified mine by removing the power strip and wiring in a heavy duty extension cord. So, depending on what type of thermostat you are using will determine what position you need to put the heater switch in. I set the built in heater thermostat pretty high so that it doesn't over-ride the other thermostat. As far as where to put the probe and t-stat, I did just have the probe mounted next to the tubs, but I got tired of looking at everything on the floor so, I basically mounted it all to a spare piece of melamine I had and the probe is about the same average height as my tubs. Here are some photo's:

What it did look like...

Using a spare piece of melamine from my garage, I added 2 screws and a few hooks to the front and 2 hinged brackets to the back, all from this assorted picture hanging kit I have...

Then, I just hung everything on the board and used a zip tie and the hinge brackets on the back to secure it to a desk I have in the snake room so it won't fall over...

Hope this helps...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Yes you can run the heater with the thermostat, but there are some things to consider. You will need to know what the wattage handling capability of the thermostat is. On my oil filled heater there is a 3 positioned switch marked I-II-III, which amounts to Low-Med-High. This switch determines how fast the heater will heat up by using different wattages. For my heater, Low= 300 Watts, Med= 600 Watts, and High= 1500 Watts. I am using a Ranco thermostat which is rated at 1500 Watts. However, the Ranco and Johnson's that are pre-wired with a power strip can only handle 700 Watts due to the built-in protection cicuit in the power strip. I modified mine by removing the power strip and wiring in a heavy duty extension cord. So, depending on what type of thermostat you are using will determine what position you need to put the heater switch in. I set the built in heater thermostat pretty high so that it doesn't over-ride the other thermostat. As far as where to put the probe and t-stat, I did just have the probe mounted next to the tubs, but I got tired of looking at everything on the floor so, I basically mounted it all to a spare piece of melamine I had and the probe is about the same average height as my tubs. Here are some photo's:

What it did look like...

Using a spare piece of melamine from my garage, I added 2 screws and a few hooks to the front and 2 hinged brackets to the back, all from this assorted picture hanging kit I have...

Then, I just hung everything on the board and used a zip tie and the hinge brackets on the back to secure it to a desk I have in the snake room so it won't fall over...

Hope this helps...

What's the brand of your heater?

Thanks

its a comfort zone oil filled raditor its kinda looks like your ...low 500 watts med 700 watts and high 1200 watts thanks for the pics
    1.0 Albino
    0.1 Spied
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Blue eyed lucy
    1.0 pied

Thanks

If you can get that set up to work right check out this heater with digital thermostat.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I recently picked up this heater for my snake room. The thermostat it comes with works good with about a 3 degree swing.

I have the heater set to 77 degrees 24/7.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    This is the one i use and its built in digital thermostat with low,med,high modes.

Been running on its built in t-stat for 3 years now no problems.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast