Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,217

1 members and 1,216 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Just wanted to see if anyone had some tips for me???

OK, so i have a 20 long glass tank. I have a flukkers heat pad taped with aluminum tape to the bottom at the hide box side of the tank, and a 100 watt light at the other end over the water bowl. The substrate is paper and I keep it clean. I soak my bp's about every week and I feed them about every 5 days. I do not have a thermostat for the pads but it says they can not go past 100 degrees. And I dont think its to hot for them anyways. I keep the heat pad on when I go to sleep and I put the light on when I wake up. I turn the heat pad off when I turn the light on.
    Is there anything I can do differently that might be better???

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Just wanted to see if anyone had some tips for me???

You really need a thermostat or rheostat for the UTH. The UTH can and will get to hot for your snake. There is also no need to soak your snake unless it has some stuck shed. Soaking can be very stressul for a snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Have a read through our caresheet to get an idea of the way we normally recommend keeping them.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    I would suggest putting the heat lamp on the same side as the UTH so that you will have one side that is always hotter than the other side - and not switch around from day to night. If you need added humidity, move the water bowl closer to the hot side.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

First thing I suggest is getting a thermostat. If cash is tight you can get one for $40.00 at BigApple, this will be better than no thermostat. If using a screen top, cover it with foil or plexiglass or something to keep in the humidity (50-60% unless in shed, then 70-80%). Just leave some holes in it for ventilation. And like in the other post, no need to soak your snake that often. Usually only soak when they have a bad shed or when trying to get rid of mites. You want a cool side (78-85) as well as a hot side (85-93). And read the care sheets that the other poster mentioned.

1.0 Spinner
    1.1 Mojaves
    1.2 Pastels
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.3 Normals
    1.0 Anerytheristic Corn
    55 gal. African Cichlids

Banned
    Thanks
    ok will do. Thanks everyone for the usefull info. I am fixing to get a 20 tub rack before next month so I was thinking I could bipass all that. But I started seeing that the snakes where getting more stressed. So I will defintely use this info. Thanks again

Thanks

Another thing is you probably don't need the heating lamp, because the uth will generally do it's job, and because snakes like ball pythons profit more from belly heat than from back heat (so heat they absorb from the ground and not heat from the ambient air), it helps them digest better.

Secondly, 100 is way too hot for a bp, the max it should ever get is 93 or 94. Thermostats are one of the most important herper tools, and as was said before, you don't need to switch the heating things during the day/night and you don't need to soak your snakes unless there's a problem.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Since you are planning on getting a rack, you will definitely need a thermostat for it, so you might as well get one now and use it on the tank, until you get the rack...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Since you are planning on getting a rack, you will definitely need a thermostat for it, so you might as well get one now and use it on the tank, until you get the rack...
    yea I would agree with you, however this is my position. My local snake breeding buddy is moving and getting rid of his hole collection. So i am buying a 20 tub cb-70 rack from him with flexwatt and a helix 1000. This will make my life so much easier but right now, I am working with what I have. Is there a really cheap temporary therm out there somewhere? And do you think the 100 degrees would transfer threw the glass at 100 or would it be less?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zbyers7 View Post
    yea I would agree with you, however this is my position. My local snake breeding buddy is moving and getting rid of his hole collection. So i am buying a 20 tub cb-70 rack from him with flexwatt and a helix 1000. This will make my life so much easier but right now, I am working with what I have. Is there a really cheap temporary therm out there somewhere? And do you think the 100 degrees would transfer threw the glass at 100 or would it be less?
    Glass gets crazy hot! So yes, I do think it would transfer, and since your'e using paper substrate it doesn't insulate it much either, so you should really just get a t-stat anyways, because it'll be better for you now.

Not to sound like the mean person here, but if you are absolutely set against buying a thermostat to take care of your ball python now, then maybe you shouldn't have gotten a ball python...
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra V For This Useful Post:

papa wyrm (11-16-2010)

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast