Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,251

5 members and 3,246 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

won't leave cold side of tank?

Okay, so I'm new to this site and new to owning snakes in general! We got our bp this past Saturday. He is 3 months old, and we have a 50 gallon tank that we did have blocked off since it was so large. We were using cardboard to block the tank. Last night we were looking at him and noticed there were mites crawling all over him so my husband went out and got some meds. We completely cleaned out the cage and threw out all of his substrate, put all of his "decor" in boiling water ect. Before all of this he refused to even come out of his hide but now that everything has been cleaned he won't go back in! My husband put exoterra under his hide because we have a heating pad under the tank and he was afraid it would get to hot with just paper towels. The rest of the tank is paper towels. We also have a branch and some vines in the tank too. He's been laying on the branch and under the branch since we've taken everything out and cleaned it. I'm afraid he's getting too cold since that is the side of the tank that isn't heated. I think maybe it's because everything was switched around again and it's taking some time to adjust. Last night after we put him back in he was moving everywhere, so I'm not sure what happened to make him stay on one side. Again, I'm new to this so I could just be freaking out for no reason lol. Also, the breeder we got him from said not to feed him until this middle of this week until he gets used to his new tank and surroundings. He hasn't eaten since the 4th of November. Would it hurt to feed him now? That seems like a long time to go without food when he's only 3 months old.

Thanks
    I got a 3 month old BP too and he loves his cooler hide, the only time your BP will be in his hot hide is when he is digesting or wanting to warm up. I wouldnt worry to much about it tho just aslong as he still eats well and doesnt have any infections he will be alright

Thanks
    ooh and i forgot to add: dont worry about him not eating because mine hasnt eaten since halloween and he's still fine, just let him settle in for a week than try and feed him.

Thanks

Re: won't leave cold side of tank?

Quote Originally Posted by lyoto View Post
    ooh and i forgot to add: dont worry about him not eating because mine hasnt eaten since halloween and he's still fine, just let him settle in for a week than try and feed him.
    Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADent View Post
    Thanks!
    you're welcome!

Thanks

It sounds like your hot spot may be too hot. Do you know what temp its running at? Do you have a thermostat or lamp dimmer on the heat pad?

In my experience, most ball pythons will spend a lot of time on the hot side outside of breeding season. However, some do seem to prefer cooler temperatures, though until you are sure your temps are right I would not say that it is simply a preference issue.

Get your hot side to 90 and your cool side to 80. If you have this gradient you will be fine and should not worry if your snake is always on the cool side then.