Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,115

4 members and 3,111 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,564
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
    Thanks

1 Herpstat + 2 Tubs = Headache.....

I have 2 (off-brand) 26 qt. tubs (approx. 6.5"H x 15.5"W x 23"L). I didn't have time to order flexwatt and wait for it to be shipped so I went to the local pet store and picked up 2 Zoo-Med UTH's (30/40G). The are both foil-taped to one side of each tub, with the backing paper still on. The probe for the herpstat is taped to the underside of the UTH on one of the tubs. I have the temp set to 97 to be able to get the plastic above the center of the UTH to right at 92+/-.5... I'm fine with this, I guess the plastic and UTH backing paper are absorbing around 5 degrees. The problem is with the second tub. The temp keeps fluctuating and last night it was only reading 86.5 on the hot spot... Any ideas on what could be causing this? Only one I have is that when I take out the non-probe tub, the open air cools it, but since the probe is still reading the same on the other UTH no additional power is supplied to maintain the temp...

Maybe if I taped the pads directly to the rack instead of the tubs.....
    1.0 Piebald
    0.1 Het Pied
    0.1 Normal (Sasha)
    1.0 Cairn Terrier (Orion)
    0.1 2011 Camaro SS

Thanks
    I have 2 tubs running off a zilla1000 tstat, and sometimes find that the tub without the probe is kinda up and down. I dont really know what to tell you but my snakes seem to not be bothered by it. The one w/o the probe is usually a few degrees cooler but the snake in that tub likes it abit cooler anyway so dosent really affect anybody. I have my flexwatt taped to the bottom of my tubs then the probe taped to the flexwatt outside the tub. Maybe just give it half hour and it should even itself out.

Thanks

Re: 1 Herpstat + 2 Tubs = Headache.....

Quote Originally Posted by yeroc1982 View Post
    I have 2 tubs running off a zilla1000 tstat, and sometimes find that the tub without the probe is kinda up and down. I dont really know what to tell you but my snakes seem to not be bothered by it. The one w/o the probe is usually a few degrees cooler but the snake in that tub likes it abit cooler anyway so dosent really affect anybody. I have my flexwatt taped to the bottom of my tubs then the probe taped to the flexwatt outside the tub. Maybe just give it half hour and it should even itself out.
    I have my adult female het pied in the problem tub and she doesn't seem to be stressed. But the hot spot temp is still around 5 degrees cooler than the other tub though, and that just won't do... I'm going to pull the probed tub off the shelf for a little while and see if the temps in the other tub go up.
    1.0 Piebald
    0.1 Het Pied
    0.1 Normal (Sasha)
    0.1 2011 Camaro SS

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Possible faulty heating element in the heating pad.

Swap probes to the other tub and see if same situation happens. If does then its how your have it set up

Thanks

Re: 1 Herpstat + 2 Tubs = Headache.....

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    Possible faulty heating element in the heating pad.

Swap probes to the other tub and see if same situation happens. If does then its how your have it set up
    I have both of the tubs at more or less the same temp now. I raised the tub up a little to get some air to the probed UTH. After it cooled a little and the herpstat started giving it more power, I just waited for the other tub's temps to raise to the correct level then I dropped it back to normal position. Now I'll just leave both tubs in the same position and hopefully the temps will remain stable!
    1.0 Piebald
    0.1 Het Pied
    0.1 Normal (Sasha)
    0.1 2011 Camaro SS