Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,133

2 members and 3,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

caging questions

hi all I’m looking into getting a ball python and have a few questions.
    1) Aspen, cypress or coconut coir substrate?
    2)Ultratherm or fluker’s heat mat? no other choices this is what I have it down to.
    3)Zilla 500 watt temp control thermostat a good option? or another similar, more reliable, popular, same price range thermostat out there?
    4)sterilite container good? any methods for putting something between heater and plastic to prevent warping/melting? or is the thermostat good enough to regulate?
    Thanks

Thanks
    1. Depends on your household humidity, but i would go with cypress.
    2. Ultratherms have been great to me, so i would go with them and purchase them from ReptileBasics.
    3. I would see if a Ranco would be in your budget. $60 and its a very good thermostat for the money.
    4. Yes i use all sterilite or iris tubs and have no issues when i regulate the heat pad with my ranco thermostat. The actual heat pad shouldn't have to be anymore than 105 to get the appropriate 90-94 degree hot spot ball pythons need. That is not nearly enough to do any damage or warpage.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steveboos For This Useful Post:

pdrobber (11-12-2010)

Thanks

Re: caging questions

Quote Originally Posted by steveboos View Post
    3. I would see if a Ranco would be in your budget. $60 and its a very good thermostat for the money.
    Thanks so much for all the advice, I'm still open to hearing from other people (so all you reading please write!)

I'm a bit skeptical about buying one of these thermostats that requires or has "rewiring" of any sort done. I'm aware I don't want to buy a piece of junk but in my opinion it seems as though I'm more comfortable buying something from one of the big companies that's all ready to go so there's no chance of me burning my entire apartment building down...any recommendation for one of those types?

Thanks
    I like Really Useful Box myself instead of a Sterilite. More durable and it can be locked. Also made of thicker plastic so a ball python can't bend the plastic when it tries to push up the lid and escape. You can find them at Office Depot or Staples.

The Zilla t-stat is fine for a single tub set-up.

I would use Aspen on a tub. The humidity from the waterbowl can offer plenty of humidity. My tub is at 55% with the waterbowl at the cool side with lots of holes. Cypress will raise humidity. So, if your humidity is too low, you can use cypress to raise it some.

I have the Zoomed UTH and the Zoomed thermostat. They haven't given me any problems since 2008. I can't vouch for flukers or ultratherm.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

pdrobber (11-12-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I personally like coco coir I buy compressed blocks it hold humidity well and is cheap and a good enviromental friendly choice.

The thermostats there is a lot of debate and controversy over them personally I don't trust on/off types. I had one (500r) that would click on the temps would shoot up and click off and drop. I fretted constantly about it until it was replaced. This type at least in my opinion need to be buffered against the tubs, I have experimented with pvcx and a sheet of plexglas both worked ok. The tub placed on the pvcx/plexy and pad under it probe under the tub. It take a few moments for the heat to warm the intermediate material so the spike is absorbed. The problem is you are spending money to heat a insulator.

I'd try to buy the bottom of the line Herpstat it is a lot more but not really that much. about 100$ You can set the temp on it and they will feather the power to deliver the correct temp on the pad. No problems and no fiddling with it. twice the price of a ranco easier to use and no massive spikes. Opinion here. The Helixs are about the same and close to the same price.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

pdrobber (11-12-2010)

Thanks

Re: caging questions

Quote Originally Posted by pdrobber View Post
    Thanks so much for all the advice, I'm still open to hearing from other people (so all you reading please write!)

I'm a bit skeptical about buying one of these thermostats that requires or has "rewiring" of any sort done. I'm aware I don't want to buy a piece of junk but in my opinion it seems as though I'm more comfortable buying something from one of the big companies that's all ready to go so there's no chance of me burning my entire apartment building down...any recommendation for one of those types?
    you can get a ranco that is prewired for just a little bit more. thats what i use and it seems to work pretty good

Thanks
    I used a 500R to regulate a cooler incubator... successfully.

I wouldn't trust it for multiple snake set-ups though. I've only plugged 2 of the exact same UTH on the 500R (one for each outlet provided) and hasn't had problems with them.
    Last edited by anatess; 11-12-2010 at 07:51 PM.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

pdrobber (11-12-2010)