Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

4 members and 3,382 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Feeding day

Thanks

Feeding day

Last week I tried feeding my little BP a F/T rat and he didnt take it so I waited a week and now im trying again, does anyone have any tips on getting him to strike it and eat it?

Thanks
    I keep hearing all these stories about balls not taking ft is if ur ball takes mice then u should be using ft mice or vice versa when I switched mine over he was on live rats, however feeding day I gave him a live mouse they were out of rats, and he only killed it not ate it. So I froze it three days later I thawed and warmed him in the box I brought home rats in to scent him, took him a min to buy the whole zombie rat dance but he took the first time no prob and no problems since about to do it again, I gues the trick is conversion as early as possible he was only 4-4 1/2 months then now 5 months old, when I got my baby red tail boa three weeks ago she was on ft already and she was only 4-6 weeks old then she won't even take it unless I just sit it in her cage she doesn't strike it she just swallows it without even constricting, plus I think it makes them less likely to bite you, no one including including myself has ever been bit by either of my snakes even the breeder! Just stay persistent make sure they are warm and that the head is the warmest part, I thaw mine in hot water until I can't feel any more cold then I heat them up a little more with a hair dryer, then use tongs so u don't have the chance of getting bit

Banned
    Thanks
    Depends on what he was on before? Live something I'm guessing

Tips (if was on live rats):

-Prescent room with smell of rat
    -Put rat bedding in the snake cage to prescent
    -Let F/T rat thaw near snake cage
    -Heat rat up with hair dryer or heat bulb (NOT MICROWAVE)
    -Do the "zombie dance" (dangle by the neck and dance around or act like it's alive, tease the snake)
    -Leave in over night

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Registered User ~Silents~Serpents~'s Avatar
    Thanks

Question mouse scenting rats

hi kindof off subject but still the same.i recently after almost 8 months my spider ball who has been a picky ass that would only strike at mice i finally got him to take a large rat pup.i did this by putting the rat pup in a small tub with a couple adult mice and let them crawl and rub on it for bout ten minutes supervised of course to get the rat pup to smell like a mouse and it worked!!struck imediatly!n u know how important that is for a breeding ball python to feed on rats.ok...soooo now my question lol "Does anybody know if there is a mouse scented spray out there?they have scent spray for attracting all kinds of animals so why not mice for snakes lol

Thanks
    You don't need a spray just don't scent as long the next feeding and the one after that don't scent at all, it's like weaning it off the mouse smell it worked for me but I had to scent a mouse like a rat for two weeks and I did it while switching to f/t