Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

0 members and 3,195 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First Time Breeder Questions

I'm trying to breed two pairs; normal x lesser and het pied x het pied. The females are 1800 and 2000 g respectively and the males are 1000 and 875 g respectively.

I've paired them three times, and each time the male shows absolutely no interest in the female and gets as far away from her as possible. (This goes for both my het pied pair and my normal x lesser pair). I did it when cold fronts were coming in every time, I misted the enclosures. These are my questions:

1) Is the male likely to breed while he is going into shed? What about when the female is going into shed?

2) I don't want to cool them for fear that they'll get RI's. I've heard of some people dropping the night temp as low as 75 - 80 during breeding season. Do any of you breed WITHOUT cooling at all? What luck have you had? I didn't cool last season and my female developed 7 follicles.

3) I have heard they are more likely to lock 1 - 2 days after the female has eaten. Will the male want to lock right after eating?

4) I've seen video of the female snake 'wagging' her tail when the male is around. How long after introduction should I see any activity like that if I'm to expect a lock? Also, if I remove the hides are they likely to get stressed and not lock?
    0.1 07 Normal "Bigsnake"
    1.0 08 Lesser "Congo"
    1.0 12 Piebald "Pixel"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: First Time Breeder Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I'm trying to breed two pairs; normal x lesser and het pied x het pied. The females are 1800 and 2000 g respectively and the males are 1000 and 875 g respectively.

I've paired them three times, and each time the male shows absolutely no interest in the female and gets as far away from her as possible. (This goes for both my het pied pair and my normal x lesser pair). I did it when cold fronts were coming in every time, I misted the enclosures. These are my questions:

1) Is the male likely to breed while he is going into shed? What about when the female is going into shed?

2) I don't want to cool them for fear that they'll get RI's. I've heard of some people dropping the night temp as low as 75 - 80 during breeding season. Do any of you breed WITHOUT cooling at all? What luck have you had? I didn't cool last season and my female developed 7 follicles.

3) I have heard they are more likely to lock 1 - 2 days after the female has eaten. Will the male want to lock right after eating?

4) I've seen video of the female snake 'wagging' her tail when the male is around. How long after introduction should I see any activity like that if I'm to expect a lock? Also, if I remove the hides are they likely to get stressed and not lock?
    I NEVER cool and will never waste the time .I have produced clutches succesfully.At this time my pastel yellow belly is breeding my largest female and has been for the last month.The first thing i have to ask is your males producing sperm plugs? If one is or both are take a sperm plug from each one and place it on the others females back.It will make them think someone else is trying to breed there lady .I have had males breed females that were inshed but never had a male breed while he was inshed.I use the 3 days together 3 days apart method.I offer them each food while apart.I hope this helps you some
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Sometimes first year breeders are slow starters, or may even not breed at all the first year. My suggestion is to keep pairing them and watch. Sometimes it takes months for the males to get started the first time. Hope this helps. If one or both fail to get a clue this year just try next. We have an enchi that refused to breed for the first part of this last season until late in the season. We produced a clutch of five off him, but originally thought he would be a no go and almost gave up on him. So just keep trying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    The first thing i have to ask is your males producing sperm plugs? If one is or both are take a sperm plug from each one and place it on the others females back.It will make them think someone else is trying to breed there lady .
    Have a question about that one.. What do you call a sperm plug?? and how do you take it off?? I poped my male and had a white string substance come out. as far as I understood, that was sperm.. not a plug..
    1.0 Bumble Bee
    1.0 Cinny het Albino
    0.1 Albino
    0.3 Pastel
    0.1 BEL (Lesser x Mojave)
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.2 Normal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Subdriven View Post
    Have a question about that one.. What do you call a sperm plug?? and how do you take it off?? I poped my male and had a white string substance come out. as far as I understood, that was sperm.. not a plug..
    I am not sure where you are but thats what we call the stringy substance that came out of yours .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    I am not sure where you are but thats what we call the stringy substance that came out of yours .
    Ok.. so what you call sperm plugs is the actual sperm of the snake...

Just curious, because Ball's don't produce actual sperm plugs...
    1.0 Bumble Bee
    1.0 Cinny het Albino
    0.1 Albino
    0.3 Pastel
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.2 Normal

Thanks

Major update! Today I saw my first visual lock between the het pieds. The boy had just shed, the girl had just eaten, and there was a major cold front coming in. I'm so thrilled!

Thank you for all your help! Now that I know the male het is locking up, I'll take one of his sheds to try to drop my lazy boy a hint.
    0.1 07 Normal "Bigsnake"
    1.0 08 Lesser "Congo"
    1.0 12 Piebald "Pixel"

Thanks
    Congrats!!!!
    1.0 Bumble Bee
    1.0 Cinny het Albino
    0.1 Albino
    0.3 Pastel
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.2 Normal

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Subdriven View Post
    Ok.. so what you call sperm plugs is the actual sperm of the snake...

Just curious, because Ball's don't produce actual sperm plugs...

the sperm aren't running amok
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    lol! congrats! you'll be more excited at how LONG they can stay together! my 2 lasted a good 13+hrs.

good luck!
    0.1 Normal (Sookie)
    1.0 Pastel (Syler)
    0.1 BumbleBee (Scully)
    1.0 Butter (Gimme)
    0.1 Mojave (Saffy)
    1.0 Albino (Leopold)
    1.0 Pinstripe (Triston)
    1.0 Basset/Beagle Mix (Bilbo)
    0.1 Basset Hound (Mimi)
    a bunch of red eared sliders
    and the oldest, male pit/mix Corky. 18yrs strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast