Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,190

1 members and 3,189 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Planning on building my first rack, but I have a few questions.

I am planning on building my first snake rack within the next month or so. I currently only have one ball python, but before i buy anymore (and knowing me it WILL snowball from there) I would like to have a suitable living arrangement already set up that I know works properly (bit of an over-planner, I know). My boy needs a new home because the one he came with is just not suitable, and if I'm going to get a new enclosure I might as well make one that I'll be using for years to come. Now he is an adult, but the next snakes I will be buying will more than likely be babies. So the rack will hold the four basic size tubs, but I have a few questions about tub size......I understand the basics of tub size compared to animal age.

6 qt. for hatchlings

12/15qt. for juveniles

28/32qt. for adult males

41 qt. for adult females

But not tub size compared to animal size......Iv been looking for a "guide" that basically states what size animals live in which size tubs. Something like this:

__grams to __grams = 6 qt. tubs

__grams to __grams = 12/15qt. tubs

......and so on, but thus far I have not had any luck. Ergo this thread. Lol.

I know that there probably are mixed opinions and different ways in which people house their snakes. I completely understand, I would just like an average of what people do.....

I also am not sure about what is the "best" substrate in a rack system. I know some use news paper (my house doesn't get the news paper), butcher paper (no idea where you get that from), paper towels, and wood shavings. If i could get what people use in their racks and why, or their past experiences with different material i would be greatly appreciative.

Sorry for the long post. I know I probably could have condensed it, but I want to make sure you knew what I was asking....

Thank you in advance!

Eden

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Planning on building my first rack, but I have a few questions.

0 grams to 400 grams = 6 qt. tubs

300 grams to 1200 grams = 12/15qt. tubs

500 grams to 5000+ grams = 28/32qt tubs

1500 grams to 5000+ grams = 41qt tubs

Now, I write this to say that you can have animals that are HUGE, but will not do well in a large tub. They enjoy being shoved into smaller tubs.

I have larger females in 15qt tubs, not because I lack the space, but because they prefer to be in a smaller space, and do not eat when moved into a more spacious tub.

That's why there is overlap.

It really depends on the animal.

As for substrate, I use paper towels for babies, and Sani-chips (Aspen chips) for the adults.
    Last edited by LadyOhh; 11-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyOhh For This Useful Post:

Eden (11-08-2010)

Thanks
    Thank you! Gosh, you've just been completely awesome! (just had to put that out there lol)

Mkay, so would you say that at 300g you would attempt to move a snake from a 6qt to a 12/15qt and if it stops eating move it back to the 6qt? Are there any other signs besides not eating that the snake needs to be in a smaller tub?

Thanks

I actually only use the smaller tubs until I can find a larger 41 quart tubs my self. I know had any issues with the snakes not eating ifi have at least a hide in there untilethey out grow it. I also have the tubs so they go in the long way so the handles are in front and backso they have a lot more private area.
    my main problem has been actually cleaning hte tubs cause I lack a proper work area to do such things, and I mean more less a table with a temp tub while i am cleaning theirs out (so I don't have a 1000+gram snake roaming the room). most the time I have to put the snake on my shoulder/neck and try to get everything done in the floor.
    And with my Cerbaral pasly that means I get down and only up if I really need to lol. cause after a couple up and downs it just crawl accross the floor cause i not getting up fast.

I also built my rack with thick side and should of used same thick levels cause the thinner wood will bow right off the back when you make a rack that holds 2 41 quart tubs ( without the tubs ) I guess 4 ft wide should not be used too often unless got at least 1/2 in thick shelves lol..
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mechnut450 For This Useful Post:

Eden (11-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thank you for your response!

I know I won't need a 41qt for quite a while, but I'm going to buy all of the tubs at once and store any extras because I have read quite a few threads in which people are having problems finding the same size tubs because the suppliers have discontinued the line they were using....

And I'm planning on building the whole rack (and boy will it be heavy) out of 3/4" Melamine. I want this bad boy to last years! LOL.

Thanks

0-400 grams / 15 quart tub
    400-2000 grams / 32 quart tub
    2000+ / 41 quart tub

I skip the 6 quart tubs altogether. As long as they have a snug hide, I haven't had an issue with non-feeders in larger tubs.

I've tried a ton of substrates. The current I am using is aspen shavings. It's not perfect but it has been my best experience so far.

newspaper/kraft paper - big snakes pee, then could be potentially sitting in a puddle all day until I do my checks.
    sani chips - I loved the stuff, but I had a few snakes who just couldn't keep it out of mouths and vents and it caused issues. Snakes seemed to swallow a lot of it when eating. (I'm kinda fussy though)
    cypress - just didn't like that there was no softness to it, and it seemed more like it was just for my convenience than any real benefit for them. Was also very difficult to locate a pure cypress rather than a blend.
    aspen shavings - so far so good. The shavings are large/heavy enough that they don't tend to stick to FT rodents which may be a little damp, or the ones the snakes kill that they then drag through their water bowl trying to line it up. Haven't seen any stuck in vents yet, either. Very absorbent. Nice and fluffy and they seem to enjoy being able to burrow around in it.

My experiences. Others' may vary of course.
    `*`

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadera For This Useful Post:

Eden (11-09-2010)

Thanks
    under 300 grams - 6 quarts
    300 - 600 grams - 12/15 quarts
    600 - 1000 grams - 32 quarts
    1000+ grams 41 quarts

I use aspen shavings in my rack! It is easy to clean and keeps good humidity!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to seeya205 For This Useful Post:

Eden (11-09-2010)

Thanks
    @ Shadera
    Thank you for going into detail about the substrate and mentioning your previous experiences. I'm finding the information very useful and I appreciate your input.

@ Seeya205
    With the weights listed does that mean that if you have a big boy over 1000grams that he also get a 41 qt.? Or is it just the place where you move your girls up a notch? Just wanna make sure I'm understanding the different ways in which people keep their BPs. And it never dawned on me that substrate would affect humidity, lol. Thank you for that bit of info! Humidity is always an issue for me since I live in the Mojave Desert. lol

And thank you all for your information in general! I absolutely love this community and how willing you all are to help newbies like me!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    i skip the 15 qt tubs

i don't do it by weight i move them from 6 to 28 when ever its obvious their too big for for the 6 qt, i would imagine its around 400 grams like posted above. after that some animal will be in 28 their whole life, I try to move big females to 41q but some just don't like it. accually, I'm keeping my 1000 gram male in a 41qt cuz my picky females don't wanna leave their 32 qts and their all filled.