Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,052

1 members and 3,051 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: BP Humidity

Registered User Cody John Steele's Avatar
    Thanks

BP Humidity

Hello, I was looking for some other opinions on the humidity of my set up for my 2 month old male hypo BP. I was fine a couple months ago with my first BP during the summer, my terrarium had a steady 58% or so humidity. Now that the temps have dropped this fall down to the 40's so has the humidity. So my tank dipped to 30% a week ago, and misting worked to raise it, but even with plastic over the top the humidity would fade away in an hour or two.

So, I went out and bought a Repti-Fogger by Zoo Med, it works great. Except I'm worried its a little too high, it fluctuates from 78%-86%. Maybe because most of the fog is settling near my humidity probe near the center of the tank. So maybe since my BP spends most of his time in a hide on either side of the tank the humidity is lower there as well? and maybe its fine if it does work that way?

Idk, I just wanted some insight...
    By the way, I have a picture to post of my setup but I can't figure out how to attach it...I can only see how to insert a photo via URL.

Thanks

Re: BP Humidity

Ohhhh! I forgot to add, all the humidity is making some of my substrate pretty damp.... Ugh..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    A fogger is a solution, I have personally never tried one myself. I live in an area where I have really extreme humidity changes in my house (80-20% summer/winter) I have been using substrate to control it. I use eco earth which is a coconut hust ground up really fine. In the winter I'll mix loose coco with water to raise the humidity and in the summer use it completely dry to lower it some (de humidifier is needed too however) That works for me.

Did you try to place the fogger on a timer so it only comes on for 30 min in the morning and in the evening? That might work with your set up.
    Alex

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Oh I used to (don't need to anymore) use terracotta hides that if you soak in water for 10 min give it back over 12 hours or so. That can help as well. Sandstone rock will also do the same and give back the water they hold over 24 hours or so (changes if over the hot or cool sides) That will lift in my case anyway 5-10% over the enclosure the hide thing will lift it alot but only in the hide itself but hey that is where they are most of the time.

Thanks

Re: BP Humidity

Thanks for the advice Kite. I had to go to a lot finer substrate (it wasn't ground coconut husks like your talking about, I think it's ground Fir...really fine) in the summer to keep it around 50% and only had to mist it couple times a week.

And I have thought about putting it on a fogger controller that regulates the humidity, but they are all pretty expensive...and I'm pretty broke after dumping $460 on his setup. Although, I could try what you said Just put it on a timer! They are fairly cheap I think around $20-30? And if it was to run 30mins here and there it should be fine... I suppose, but the humidity drops fast after I turn it off, 30mins its back to like 40%. Would it be fine for the BP to have the humidity go up and down like that all day?

I