Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,360

2 members and 2,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Red face Tempz affecting my balls poo

I had my ball in a 15 gal with a 75w and the temps were normal and it would poop little turds like a small dog. But when i put it in a larger 55 to 65 gal the temps now stay in the low 80's.Ever since it only poops the white yellow bird looking poo. I just want to know if the loewr temps are affecting its digestive system. it has been a month now of no turds is it just constipated how do i fix this or is it normal

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Tempz affecting my balls poo

Do you have an under tank heater? Ball pythons benefit from belly heat, it helps them to digest their meals. I'm not sure about the poop. My ball pythons poop once about every three to four weeks.

Thanks
    I do have a under the tank heater. do your balls poop turds or the bird poo looking stuff

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

The bird looking stuff is urates. Yes, ball pythons do poop out turds.

Thanks

"I had my ball in a 15 gal with a 75w and the temps were normal and it would poop little turds like a small dog. But when i put it in a larger 55 to 65 gal the temps now stay in the low 80's.Ever since it only poops the white yellow bird looking poo."
    "75w" is not a temperature.
    That said, I would bet dollars to donuts that your issue is husbandry related (i.e. you aren't meeting your snakes living requirements).

Thanks

Wink

I never once said that 75w was a temp so please read it again. i was saying that i had a 75 w bulb and the temps inside the tank were normal.I wouldnt take youre bet as i am sure youre right. everything was fine untill i got a bigger tank ever since the humidity has been off as well as the temps i am buying higher watt bulb to increase temps and i think i am going to cover half of my homemade lid for the tank with foil to keep in humidity. ill se if i can post some pics for further advice so if anyone could please enlighten me with some knowledge.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's not at all uncommon for a ball python to go several weeks without pooing. If anything, if he was pooing frequently (relatively speaking) in the smaller enclosure, I would guess the temps might have been warmer than optimal and caused his metabolism to be faster than normal.

If you're sure your temps are correct...then I suspect you have nothing to worry about. He'll go again when he's good and ready to.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    You have a UTH and overhead bulbs? You really only need one or the other...and the UTH is the best method because they need the belly heat for digestion. So long as you're controlling it with a thermostat, you can get the perfect temperature with just that, and it also would drastically help with humidity. Overhead heating sucks the humidity from the enclosure =)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emiebeth View Post
    You have a UTH and overhead bulbs? You really only need one or the other...and the UTH is the best method because they need the belly heat for digestion. So long as you're controlling it with a thermostat, you can get the perfect temperature with just that, and it also would drastically help with humidity. Overhead heating sucks the humidity from the enclosure =)
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with a couple of points here. A UTH is frequently not enough to heat a whole enclosure. Especially a large glass one. Supplemental heat from overhead is usually required. In a shallow plastic tub surrounded on three sides by the walls of the rack, a UTH is usually sufficient. But in a 55 gal glass tank, no way that will work unless the OP keeps his house at 80 degrees all the time.

The second point is the insistence I see more and more often from folks that BP's have to have belly heat. They don't. So long as the heat source warms the substrate and keeps the overall ambient temps in the proper ranges, they don't care where the heat comes from.

It IS true that overhead lamps suck humidity from the air...and that is an issue that almost all glass-tank keepers must deal with and overcome. But in any typical house, SOME supplemental heat will be needed in a glass tank, even if you had UTH's on both sides.
    -- Judy

Thanks

I will agree with Judy on most points, which is just further reason why fish cages are not the optimal (or even close to optimal) environments for a ball python.
    Sure they're cool to look at , but it's realyl not about you. It's about the snake being healthy, happy and healthy.
    Did I say healthy twice?....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast