Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,715

2 members and 2,713 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Banner Elk, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks

Interesting feed

I was feeding my young female BP today an adult FT mouse and she hit it almost instantly. She constricted for almost 2 minutes and then started ingesting head first. All of a sudden she decided she didn't want it and spit it back out. I don't know if she hit a cold or really warm spot (thawed in 100' water for 15 minutes). She then curled around it for about 5 minutes in cartoon cobra pose rubbing her head around various parts of the mouse's body and then totally let it go and ignored it for about 10 minutes. I decided that I would try removing the mouse and either trying it again or introducing a new one when she went into what I will from now on call "Super S Coil" and snatched the mouse right back from the tongs. She then took it all the way down and so far (8 hours ago) has kept the mouse down. When I first got her she was fed exclusively on live mice so the switch was difficult. I wonder if she is on to my trickery and was inspecting the mouse to see if it was alive. Either way it was an entertaining feed.

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    Ive had this happen, just reoffer and usually they will take it. Ive also had them constrict for 10 or 15 mins and then drop it, I just reoffer and reheat if necessary
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    crazy snakes....I have one that will constrict and NOT let go until she has swallowed it all except a little piece of tail. Literally tries to hold onto the tail even...funny to watch.

I have seen snakes do this...I have one that rubs on it prior to eating...one that gets it down a bit and then realizes it is backwards and spits it out and eats it the right way.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks
    Mine never gives up. From the second she grabs, she won't even let go to go for the head. Instead she'll walk her mouth along the mouse, alternating between keeping her lower and upper jaw in contact with the mouse.

She'll eat backwards and she'd eat sideways if the mouse was small enough. She once ate the mouse "back first" by folding it up into a ball so it's head was by it's tail. That was the sign the mice were getting way too small.