Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

1 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanks for the pic!

Looks like you're right, though the darker pups look more like how agouti pups usually do to me. o_O; We'll see in a few more days, but I think you're right.

I hope that kid takes your advice, but who knows. Maybe you can be sneaky and give him Twinkle and a male pup that looks like Bitsy instead.

The pups look really good. Be careful handling them, though. You're in danger of culling until about three weeks, though I'm guessing Bitsy is very chill with you. As a hamster adviser of sorts, I had to warn you. Most females would flip out if you handle the pups before their eyes are open.
    1.0.0 Kenyan Sand Boa
    1.0.0 Campbell's Dwarf Hamster
    0.1.0 Syrian Hamster
    1.1.0 Roborovski's Hamster
    0.1.0 Campbell's/Winter White Dwarf Hamster Hybrid

Thanks
    Haha, he'd get so mad if he checked sexes and I realized I did that. Although, I don't think he will breed them as he watching how much work it is.

I've read they are safe to handle a little at 2 weeks? They are on day 8 and Bitsy doesn't seem offended at all. I rolled the deli cup in her bedding to "pre-scent" it and I didn't touch them.. plus I lured mom away with a bit of food
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Thanks
    Well, 8 days still isn't two weeks, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Most responsible sources discourage handling pups before their eyes are open, which is at about two weeks. Touchy females, especially new pets or first-time moms, are at high risk of culling the litter in response to the slightest stresses. Though since she's been fine so far, I think you're good. Breeders (of Campbell's) who have had their females for quite a while will handle the pups from just a few days old, but my forum wouldn't want me to tell you that. So for future pregnant hamsters (since everything you touch has babies, lol), no handling pups til two weeks or so. And with Syrians (teddy bears or whatever people call them... the big ones) don't touch, take pictures of, look at, or sneeze near the pups, because the females are famous for culling some or all at the slightest surprise.

It sounds like you're doing a really great job with these guys, though. Mondo kudos.
    1.0.0 Kenyan Sand Boa
    0.1.0 Syrian Hamster

Thanks

Re: Campbells dwarf hamsters with babies!

Quote Originally Posted by Rehannon View Post
    Well, 8 days still isn't two weeks, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

It sounds like you're doing a really great job with these guys, though. Mondo kudos.

I know it was early but I wanted to get an up close peek at them, it's been killing me... I'm so used to rats that don't care if you play with their pups on day 1 lol

Thank you though, I'm glad that me and Bitsy have been successful.

I do find it odd that Bitsy isn't touchy at all (since this is likely her first litter and she is a very new addition who likely wasn't handled very much at the petstore). I haven't picked her up since before she gave birth but everytime I open the cage she very boldly runs up to my hands when I reach in to put food in or spot clean the corners.

I'm so happy these aren't Syrians, besides for being worse about eating babies the darned things have to be housed individually... like I have room for that

Update pic again lol... some have wierd white markings?
    Last edited by bad-one; 11-10-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Thanks

Re: Campbells dwarf hamsters with babies!

Quote Originally Posted by bad-one View Post
    Update pic again lol... some have wierd white markings?
    Yeah they do. I'm assuming they're what breeders/show folk call white "faults". I've heard of a marking called "collared", but that should be an expression of the mottled gene, which cannot be carried. Since neither of your parents are mottled and no pups show more white than they do, I'm assuming that these are just uncommon white markings, more like the ones more commonly found on feet, stomachs, and chins. It does make them very unique, though!
    1.0.0 Kenyan Sand Boa
    0.1.0 Syrian Hamster

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rehannon For This Useful Post:

bad-one (11-13-2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12