Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,214

1 members and 3,213 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Help! Infected eye?

My male Jackson's chameleon's eye is very swollen. I am going to be taking him to a vet, but they specialize in mostly snakes, iguanas, and monitors, not chameleons. I am just looking for some advice in how to treat/ make it more comfortable to live with until then. Please, any advice would be very helpful right now.

As you can see, it is twice the size of the other eye. It has only been like this for two days, I have been trying to find out what it is with out such luck.

Here is the enclosure he lives in if it helps at all.

Ball Pythons:
    0.1.0 Bumble Bee- Schnapps
    0.1.0 Pinstripe- Penny
    0.1.0 Super Cinnamon- Cleo
    0.1.0 Albino- Daiquiri
    0.1.0 Low White Piebald- Hershey
    1.0.0 Low White Piebald- Reese
    1.0.0 Paradox Super Cinnamon- Dash
    1.0.0 100% Het. Albino- Jester
    1.0.0 50% Het. Albino Jake

Thanks

Re: Help! Infected eye?

i wish i had some advise for you. im sorry i dont.. I went through this with my veiled about 5-6 years ago, i took him to my vet that really only deals with "normal" pets (cats&dogs&hampsters) anyways she said it was an infection of some sort and gave him a shot (if i remember right) and as much as i dont wanna tell you he ultimatly died a few days later. I would think that if you're going to a doc that knows reptiles then you might have much better luck then i did, or at least i hope you do... Im sorry i cant help out in this situation.. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU BOTH!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!"

Thanks

Re: Help! Infected eye?

Quote Originally Posted by goincrzy View Post
    i wish i had some advise for you. im sorry i dont.. I went through this with my veiled about 5-6 years ago, i took him to my vet that really only deals with "normal" pets (cats&dogs&hampsters) anyways she said it was an infection of some sort and gave him a shot (if i remember right) and as much as i dont wanna tell you he ultimatly died a few days later. I would think that if you're going to a doc that knows reptiles then you might have much better luck then i did, or at least i hope you do... Im sorry i cant help out in this situation.. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU BOTH!
    Thank you! I have taken him to the vet, he didn't get a shot, just some oral antibiotics and a cream to put on the eye twice a day for two weeks. It's been a little while since I've made this thread, so he is off the medications now, he seems pretty good. The eye is back to its original size, but he still has a bit of loose skin around it, which I am assuming will take awhile to shrink back up since it was so largely swollen. I really appreciate your concern and thank you again.
    Ball Pythons:
    0.1.0 Bumble Bee- Schnapps
    0.1.0 Pinstripe- Penny
    0.1.0 Super Cinnamon- Cleo
    0.1.0 Albino- Daiquiri
    0.1.0 Low White Piebald- Hershey
    1.0.0 Low White Piebald- Reese
    1.0.0 Paradox Super Cinnamon- Dash
    1.0.0 100% Het. Albino- Jester
    1.0.0 50% Het. Albino Jake