Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,335

1 members and 3,334 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    i had similar happen to me but i gave up when the first guy asked if i was going to feed them to my snakes which i told him honestly i wasn't going to feed the females i had them order for me 20 of them which they had in but wouldn't sell to me cause i told them i was going to breed the females for my own food (meaning to feed my snakes not me) so i went across town and picked out 50 females from petco think was Lil under half the price as petsmart

i go in there store all the time to luagh at them been kicked out twice for telling people where they could buy an animal cheaper they don't ask me anymore if they can help me find something cause i usually tell them no just here to look at inflated prices that they turn around and refuse to sell to people once they want to buy an animal to go in or with the other
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

Thanks

Re: Nothing like a verbal assault from Petsmart....

Its a pet mouse, of course. It's had all its shots and everything!

(Thats why its 6.99).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teclis View Post
    Its a pet mouse, of course. It's had all its shots and everything!

(Thats why its 6.99).
    All of their animals are "vet. checked and approved" lol must be a very busy vet. clinic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SNIKTTIME View Post
    Then I asked if they were born frozen...
    Well, the box does say it right on the front, in big, bold letters "ARCTIC MICE" Of course they are born that way...

My opinion about Petsmart is this. People always complain about Petsmart employees lack of knowledge, but the problem is from people mis-pronouncing the name. People automatically assume it's pronounced "Pet Smart" so you have this higher expectation that they are knowledgeable and smart, which, as you know, many of their employees are not, so the result is usually anger, frustration, and disappointment. I believe that the most likely pronunciation is "Pets Mart". Saying it like that now makes them sound more like a convenience store. Yes, a convenience store for pets. I would like a box of frozen rats and a Slushee, please...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

I went to my local Pet Smart yesterday to pick up some supplies for my dog. My boyfriend was with me and he made a joke about the rats and mice being snake food. I told the cashier that I have two ball pythons and he was like, Oh My Goodness! He said that it is very sad how people come into the store and buy the rats and mice for feeders. I personally do not buy rats and mice from Pet Smart for feeders. I go to a mom and pop shop that sells feeders.

Thanks

I work at a Petsmart, so I suppose I'm here to give another side to this story. I don't work at that Petsmart the OP mentioned, but I know that in my store, we are bound by Petsmart policy. We are supposed to discretely fish for information about the purpose of mouse purchases. Several times we've had to turn people away from buying mice because they let it slip the mice would become feeders.

I think the reason for this "snakes should NEVER be fed live. Only feed frozen!" mentality from Petsmart comes from their need to be seen as a company that cares about its animals. The majority of people are very turned off by the idea of those cute little mice being sold as feeders. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who doesn't like snakes and loves cute little mice and hamsters. You come into the store to look at the fuzzy new additions to the store and you overhear someone adopting some cute mice. Then you here the mice will be used as feeders! How dare Petsmart sell such cute mice as food for snakes! Then this person might not want to bring their business there.

But if you put some frozen/thawed mice over in a fridge somewhere, where most people won't go looking and then that scenario never comes up and those people who are squeamish about feeding mice to snakes never have to think about while in the store. Do you see where I'm coming from with this? Its all about image and keeping your customers.

I'll admit, I don't like the policy. I think it is really stupid and have voiced that to my managers on numerous occasions. But there is nothing a lowly employee like me can do about it. If someone comes in looking for live mice, I am required by policy to tell them feeding frozen/thawed is better for their snake, though I usually sneak in that they can find live mice cheaper at other stores nearby. I mention that paying $7 per mouse is too expensive to use as feeders and they can find live mice elsewhere for about $1.50.

Petsmart also discourages breeding animals. They kind of have to with all the dog and cat overpopulation and their commitment to promoting adoption and such. That is why Petsmart stores either keep only males or only females. I have had to turn away people several times who were trying to buy hamsters for breeding because they wanted their kids to "experience the miracle of life".

Just figured I'd give my two cents about Petsmart's policy. And not all employees at Petsmart are dumb so every now and then you will find a Petsmart location that is a Pet Smart not a Pets Mart. We don't get a ton of training on the care of the animals so it is usually up to the employee to find that information out for themselves. It is when Petsmart hires people that don't bother with doing this that you get the dumb people who give you bad information or are little puppets of Petsmart policy like you experienced. Thankfully my co-workers care about our animals and we are all constantly learning new things about our animals and are able to pass that knowledge onto our customers.
    Last edited by Jay_Bunny; 11-01-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Under Construction.....

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jay_Bunny For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (11-01-2010),Drakko (03-14-2011),EchoPyrex (11-23-2010),shaunwithbite (11-18-2010),steveboos (11-01-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Well, the box does say it right on the front, in big, bold letters "ARCTIC MICE" Of course they are born that way...

My opinion about Petsmart is this. People always complain about Petsmart employees lack of knowledge, but the problem is from people mis-pronouncing the name. People automatically assume it's pronounced "Pet Smart" so you have this higher expectation that they are knowledgeable and smart, which, as you know, many of their employees are not, so the result is usually anger, frustration, and disappointment. I believe that the most likely pronunciation is "Pets Mart". Saying it like that now makes them sound more like a convenience store. Yes, a convenience store for pets. I would like a box of frozen rats and a Slushee, please...
    LMAO good stuff... Another question to ask yourself is would the store react the same way to me if I was a 12 year old girl instead of a good looking 34 year old? I doubt it. The whole marketing idea of Petsmart is not what bugs me, what bugs me is that I would never have been treated that way if I was buying crickets, mealworms, or guppies. There is still a bigtime stigma when it comes to snakes and that rubs me the wrong way I guess.

BPnet Veteran Theartisticgemini's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SNIKTTIME View Post
    Then I asked if they were born frozen and they got pissed.
    Epic Win

Thanks
    people at pet stores are dumb just how it is i worked at one for a bit and they treat the animals so bad its disgusting!
    my channel plz check it out!

www.youtube.com/reptopia

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Born frozen!

Next time tell them no, you're not using them as feeders; they'll be humanely kept in a medical lab that researches genetic links to cancer and diabetes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to loonunit For This Useful Post:

Theartisticgemini (11-01-2010)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast