Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

0 members and 3,196 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Nothing like a verbal assault from Petsmart....

Needed some bedding for my mice so I went to Petsmart. While I was there I decided to add 2 female mice to my order to replace 2 of my older ones at home. Big mistake, I had to go through 3 employees, one of them was a manager to make the purchase. All 3 grilled me on how "I hope you aren't feeding these to a snake". Makes no sense to me how they can say it is company policy to not use small animals from their stores for feeders when they sell snakes, and sponsor reptile forums. For the heck of it I asked how they feed their snakes and they all said frozen mice. I asked how do you get them and with an attitude was told they come that way. Then I asked if they were born frozen and they got pissed.

I just think that the biggest problem I saw was that they can charge $6.99 for a mouse, and tell me that it must be used as a pet. Even the register girl wanted to know what I was going to name them...

For the record all of my breeders are kept in lab containers with food,water,treats a hide and a wheel which is better than most of their stores keep them.

Thanks
    I would have been pissed. Not everyone has a love for rats. Why would they, they're the ones that caused bubonic plauge and black death that wiped out half the european population.

I feed my BP live, the rest frozen. But I feel zero sadness while feeding it to her.
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

Registered User LOSTCOAST_BALLZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    hahaha, I have gone through the same thing. I honestly think its just to gvie them a reason to charge 7 dollars for a mouse that u could find for 1.99 as a feeder. "they come that way" lmao smh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: Nothing like a verbal assault from Petsmart....

Quote Originally Posted by Bellabob View Post
    I would have been pissed. Not everyone has a love for rats. Why would they, they're the ones that caused bubonic plauge and black death that wiped out half the european population.

I feed my BP live, the rest frozen. But I feel zero sadness while feeding it to her.
    Fleas carry the plague, not rodents. Rodents, humans, and other mammals all can carry fleas.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Drakko (03-14-2011),shelliebear (11-04-2010)

Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your experience, your reply to the worker "Are they born frozen?" gave me a good laugh for the day. That is supposed to be all Petsmart policies though, they don't sell any of them as feeder rodents knowingly. Actually, if you can believe it, my local Petsmart has a policy where if you buy mice or rats three weeks in a row, they will ban you from buying them.
    Ball Pythons:
    0.1.0 Bumble Bee- Schnapps
    0.1.0 Pinstripe- Penny
    0.1.0 Super Cinnamon- Cleo
    0.1.0 Albino- Daiquiri
    0.1.0 Low White Piebald- Hershey
    1.0.0 Low White Piebald- Reese
    1.0.0 Paradox Super Cinnamon- Dash
    1.0.0 100% Het. Albino- Jester
    1.0.0 50% Het. Albino Jake

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    thats why you ask who their supplier is and buy direct from the source and pay $.50 each

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Fleas carry the plague, not rodents. Rodents, humans, and other mammals all can carry fleas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellabob View Post

The black rat was the rat that was the plague carrier, the brown rat (the rat we have as pets and feeders) out competed the black rat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    thats why you ask who their supplier is and buy direct from the source and pay $.50 each
    LOL that would be ideal, but when I only need a couple to freshen my groups up I don't mind paying extra. Just a funny experience. There is a store maybe 20 miles away that sells mice as feeders, and that Petsmart knew about it and spoke of them like it was a slaughterhouse I am all for animal rights, but they sell feeder fish and feeder insects with no hard feelings. I just don't like when people pick and choose to pay attention to something.

And rats and ground squirrels still carry oriental rat fleas which carry plague mostly in California, glad there aren't too many out here.

Glad to see I am not going crazy, thanks guys and gals

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    No fleas on THIS human!!

-- Judy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Christine (11-02-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Any store has the right to sell or not sell feeders.

That said, the store employees talking about the feeders coming frozen so it's not the same as selling animals for food is a bit ridiculous. I love your response.

I personally buy elsewhere, since I wouldn't want someone telling I can't sell rutabegas, because they don't believe in selling rutabegas. So who am I to insist that they sell live feeder rodents? They DO offer frozen feeders(at least the stores around here do), so it's not as if they don't offer any food for the reptiles that require rodent prey.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast