Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,393

2 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: BP diarrhea?

Thanks

Angry BP diarrhea?

My older brother bought a snake from the same pet store (Petco) that I bought my first BP from, and that he bought his other snake from. He bought another BP about 5 days ago. He eats F/T, and ate some mice fine the other day, no problem.
    Today my brother calls me, very upset, because his snake has diarrhea. (The new snake). His other snake is fine, and they are in different tanks, but the new one appears to be sick. It doesn't sound like the snake regurged from his description of the smell and appearance.
    Should I bring him to the vet? They had already cleaned up all the fecal matter in the tank when they called, so I couldn't get a sample or anything. Should we wait and see if it happens again?
    How much does it generally cost to get a fecal parasite test done at a vet? I'm still not sure I know of any snake savvy vets in my town (Spokane).
    Also, what, if any, are other signs of internal parasites? He seems to be fine in all other aspects except for this one occurrence.
    I don't think Petco will take the snake back, either--I seem to remember, vaguely, something about a "we won't take them back" thing/policy on snakes specifically. Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else.
    Thanks for any help you can give me (it will all be passed on to my brother and his fiance).
    Shellie
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    was the prey thawed fully and properly?
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks
    The prey was thawed properly to the best of my knowledge.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    What size mice is he feeding on? If its pinky mice or something with not much fur then there stool tends to be runny. I would give it until next time and see if it happens again then bring a sample to the vet. It could be due to stress as well, with him being in a new environment. I am not sure about prices when it comes to the fecal test but if he is not feeding on pinky mice and it is runny next time around I would have him checked. Hope this helped. Good luck and keep us posted

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Jon
    0.1 Hog Cross Boa
    1.0 Hypo 100% het sharp Albino
    1.0 Albino B.P.
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel B.P.
    1.1 Pied B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe B.P.
    0.1 poss het pied B.P.
    0.1 bumblebee B.P.
    0.1 Caramel Albino B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe Het Albino B.P.
    0.3 Normal B.P

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Re: BP diarrhea?

Fecals aren't usually too expensive. I can get one done around here (central MI) for under $20. Every vet is different of course, but your brother shouldn't have to pay through the nose for a simple fecal test. Now if the bp does have parasites, the meds for that might be a different story depending on what's needed.

The new snake could have loose stools simply due to stress in a new home. I assume your brother knows to give the snake several days at least to settle in before he handles it? Stress could be the cause...

Another thing, seperate tanks isn't enough of a quarantine. The new snake should be in an entirely different area of the house and hands, clothes, etc should be THOROUGHLY washed before coming in contact with the first snake and it's enclosure. If this is a disease of some sort, the first snake could be in jeapordy if the new snake is anywhere near.

Vet visit is step one and, yes, your brother does need to get that fecal done. Good luck!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Snakes will at times get this. I have a few females that when htye have the runs will release loud fart sounds as well. And then next bowel movement be perfectly normal. Has a lot to do with digestion, as in are they on the cool side more while after a meal or hot side.

Happens more with frozen feeders due to bad rodent, not thawed out properly.

What works best for any treatment for parasites is panacur and flagyl. Both very inexpensive and panacur is bought at stores other needs prescription. Neither will harm the snake but actually benefit their feeding responses.

I wouldn't sweat this bowel movement right now. Their just like every other living thing that at times has runny stools.

Thanks
    The snake is pretty small. /he eats fuzzy/hopper mice, one of the two (I forget which).
    As for quarantine yes, everything is being washed before the other snake is touched. Putting the new one in another room is not an option currently, as the only other room in their apartment is full of baby stuff that needs to be set up. There's not room. However we will work towards making room.
    2.3 normal ball pythons

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    with it being that small and young, recently purchased from a chain store, i wouldn't doubt the snake is a import bought in wholesale lot.

Keep an eye on it and if it continues every time its time to get some meds

Thanks
    Alright, will keep an eye on it. Thanks very much, passing on all information to my brother.
    2.3 normal ball pythons