Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

0 members and 3,288 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Two day soak....

Hey guys so my RTB has been soaking in his water dish for two days with out leaving. I took him out to do the cage cleaning and as soon as I put him back in he went right back to the water dish.

When I dumped the water I didn't see any black dots but it was so dirty It was hard to tell.

Are there any other ways to tell if he has mites? He just shed so its not like he's trying to hydrate. Is a two day soak normal for RTB's or can I assume that because he hasn't left the water in two days he has mites and should just treat him for it.

Thanks
    Sorry would have just edited but it wont let me =/...

Forgot to ad in, I'm using aspen bedding, 79 degree cool side, 92 warm, 61% humidity, he's about 2 years old and 4 feet long. I've got him in a 30 gallon breeder tank.

Thanks
    I always use a little flash light and go over the snake very carfully as of doing this thuroughly i have caught mites still on my snake when it hought they was gone also or you could use a magnifying glass as they can be real small. I had a 8ft female redtail that loved her water bowl thats where shed always stay and shed get ticked you touch her in her when she was soakin shed hiss at you. Also keep a constant eye on the water while its clean for black dots, also have you check to see if your snake might be going into shedding mode ?
    Last edited by Dundee; 10-25-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks

Question Re: Two day soak....

I'd not even thought to check her with a magnifying glass or a flashlight I'll try that now.

I've been watching the water like a hawk and haven't seen a single black dot, I even got a white pot from the kitchen and let him soak in that, then examined the water and didn't see anything.

He just shed about a week and a half ago so I know thats it.

Thanks so much for the help man, did your snake spend a lot of time in the water then?

Thanks
    The big female is the only boa ive had so far that spent alot of time in her water bowl once you got her out youd better be prepared for a very cranky hissy boa lol, and do you have some hides for your snake also to be sure it isnt a security issue ? also if your worried about mites id look into the bedding to.
    Last edited by Dundee; 10-25-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks

Re: Two day soak....

Yeah I've got a hide, I'd read that as rtb's get older they don't need a hide as much. I've continued to provide one but he almost never uses it.

Its very strange right now he's half in to the water bowl with his head out and his tail out.

I guess my problem is I'd always been told that snakes that soak for extended periods of time had mites... Even though I can't for the life of me figure out where he would have got them. As long as he's not stressed out and doesn't have mites I don't care.

Thanks
    Yeah my female wasnt uncommon for her to soak in her water bowl. When i first got her i had to make sure she was soaked 2-3 times a day as she went to the vet 1 day a week for 2-3 weeks for shots for upper respatory infection and she had a small case of mouth rott. But even when i got her back to health she stayed in her water bowl a good bite of the time. My baby boa thinks his water bowl is more ofa toilet than a water bowl lol. My baby ball had mites and soaked now i positive i got most of them gone she doesnt get in the water.
    My female boa i got now its rare shes ever under her hide majority of the time shes stretched out or curled up by the water bowl on the cool side of her enclosure.