Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

0 members and 3,269 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Just got this blood in at work today....

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    I agree with Trevor It also looks to me like it will brown out as an adult BUT if it is healthy and you like it and your happy with it then I say pick it up
    What makes you think it will "brown out" and by brown out, do you mean like this:

Oh, and by the way...it's got an AWESOME temperment! lol
    1.0 Hog Island Boa - Gus
    0.1 Hog Island Boa - Psych
    1.0 ACD - Riot
    0.1 ACD - Ripple
    0.1 JRT - Sadie

Thanks
    im gunna have to go with blood python as well ( not borneo ) it is really brown for a blood though

Thanks

No that above snake is RED

Brown out as in this.....

Thanks

I thought I red somewhere that it takes 2-3 years for them to start getting their adult colors. That true?

What are the markers your are looking at that tip you off as to what the adult color may be?
    1.0 Hog Island Boa - Gus
    1.0 ACD - Riot
    0.1 ACD - Ripple
    0.1 JRT - Sadie

Thanks

You think this is what our guy might turn out like?

If so and I new 100% it was a male, I'd consider picking this guy up. After some research of course. Here are my hang ups on the bloods at the moment. Adult size: they get to be soooo hefty, but I've only really seen people holding females... showing off their girth. I like some girth, but goodness! lol Do the males get THAT hefty? I also saw it mentioned that when they get that big you can mess up their insides if you hold em wrong? Plus, they are listed as an intermediate snake. I'm a total noob to snakes.

This is a summary of my experience: About 3 months ago I started working at my LPS. They had a Hog Island Boa I fell in love with. So I started considering getting a snake. I aquired my first snake a couple weeks later...spur of the moment I rescued a rat mauled 3 year old Ball Python (chewed to pieces, mouth rot and RI). Then I got that Hog Island a couple months ago. I'm still learning on the husbandry end. My Boa lets me know when I'm doing it wrong and my python thinks it's died and gone to heaven! lol I just don't think it'd be a good idea to pick this guy up, cause I still suck at snakes! lol BUT that said, if some jacka$$ that has no business owning ANY animal comes in threatening to buy it, I may have to pull the trigger! lmao At least I know eventually I'll get it!

Bottom line...I guess this post just turned into me lazily asking questions I can go find with a little work. Sorry....off to check out bloodpythons.com
    1.0 Hog Island Boa - Gus
    1.0 ACD - Riot
    0.1 ACD - Ripple
    0.1 JRT - Sadie

Thanks

I doubt the animal you guys have is going to end up with any red in it at all

Ive also got some girls that arent big at all......

Bloods shouldnt be huge....
    Last edited by 2kdime; 10-31-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks

Males especially should not be very large. This is a pic of a male I had awhile back that topped out at around 4.25 ft, and a little less than 10lbs. He was fed normally...I even called him my "garbage disposal" because he ate so well.

Also, he was my very first snake - this is not to say that they are not "intermediate" snakes, but I feel that care requirements are pretty straightforward as long as you're willing to learn and put in the effort. Concerning their size..I think many people have two thoughts, the first being that they may not be able to house/feed/maintain a snake that large and the second, what will they do when they have 5 feet of snake in a bad mood. These are definitely some things to think about. You may want to price out some cages and figure out the price of feeder XL rats over a year, etc. As far as handling a large snake that does not want to be handled..that stuff will come. I've been keeping bloods for 5 years (although I have a very limited number) and have yet to get bit.

Thanks

Thing is your gonna get freaks in each of the 3 species

Ive seen big Borneos, small Borneos, big Bloods and small ones.

Females are usually larger, but again, every animal is different.

Then you can start breaking it down into localities where there are similarities in sizes between those as well, some larger, some smaller.

They're not big snakes by any means, but they arent Ball Pythons either.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I agree with it being a blood python, and with the coloration. I don't see that one turning red, either.

I wish people wouldn't sell Borneos as "Borneo Blood" pythons. If someone's not familiar with the group, it's too confusing to try to figure out which of the two they mean (or if they mean it as a cross between the two).

Also, for the original poster, please take this as a friendly suggestion. I'm guessing that the pictures you posted aren't ones you've taken. You shouldn't really take pics off the internet like that without asking (or at least crediting them). You can always post a link to the picture you're referencing and that way you're not violating any copyrights.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I meant the pictures you were using as comparison, not the first ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12