Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

2 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slight problem

Thanks

slight problem

I got a baby ball python about a week and a half ago, i gave him a f/t fuzzie last sunday he regurged it 12 hours later, i dont have a UTH, i have the acu rite thermometer gauge and i had the sensor in between the hot and cold side of the tank 2 inches above the subtrate, the indoor temp was 76 and the out door temp was 92 and humidity 46, i spoke to some one on the forum and they said to put the sensor under the subtrate on the cold side of the tank, and now the temp reads indoor 73 and out door 82 with humidity 43, i misted the tank multiple times and the humidity never changed??? well my question is, is it hot enough to feed him with out him regurging again cuz i no hes hungry when hes stretched out his skin wrinkles on both sides of his body, i opened his mouth the other day to make sure there was no sign of infection and there wasnt although im not an expert i just watched a couple videos on it and to my knowledge it seemed to be fine, the only heat source i have at this time is a infared bulb and he seems to like the hot side alot more than the cold side

Thanks
    I think he needs a UTH. but someone else might know better.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    and hes peed twice within the last week, the pet store fed him a f/t pinkie when i bought him, the fuzzie couldnt have been to big cuz he swallowed it with out any problems, also i didnt get the acu rite thermo till after he regurged so i dont know what my temps were at the time of the regurge, the only thing i can think of is either the temp is too cold or i didnt thaw it out cuz i was a little excited to see him eat i put it in warm water submerged in the freezer bag for 15 minutes and it felt thawed out enough the mouse was even a little on the warm side

Thanks
    get a uth, they need belly heat to digest. they are cheap and simple to set up.

Thanks
    If it's totally frozen, I would give it at least thirty minutes in hot water. The F/T I feed Dixie (med to large rats) thaw like that for at least an hour to an hour and a half.

I highly recommend a UTH or flex watt for belly heat. It will help improve your humidity. Before I became a multiple bp owner... I used infrared heat and lights (years ago)... had all kinds of humidity issues. Switched Dixie to a UTH, removed the lights and the humidity stays perfect with only a weekly misting.
    Mine:
    0.2.0 Normals - Dixie and Gizmo ~^~ 1.0.0 Lemon Pastel BP - The Zohan
    0.1.0 Spider - Kindle ~^~ 1.0.0 Cinny - CynGen
    1.0.0 Mojave - unnamed
    Coming soon: 0.1.0 Mojave
    Hubbys:
    1.0.0 Albino Busrmese Python - Ares
    Ours:
    3.3.0 kids - 0.3.0 Kittehs - 2.0.0 Dogs - 55 gal planted Angel tank

Thanks
    Also If you end up buying uth/flexwatt, your gona need to also buy a thermostat for your heat. You don't want to run one without it! Risk burning your snake and that wouldent be good.
    1.0 Dumeril Boa (Mr. D)
    1.0 Red Tail Boa (no name yet)
    0.1 Ball Python (Pandora)

Thanks

Re: slight problem

82 degrees is an appropritate COOL side temperature. You need a heating element for this animal. Bps are native to africa and have steady daytime temps in the 90s. 92 being pretty much in the middle for them.

UTH's need to be regulated. Thermostats are the best but a dimmer control can work in a crunch.

I'd reccomend taking a look at the care sheet, found here: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...s%29-Caresheet

Also, don't offer food for 2 weeks after the regurge. They need time to build the flora up in their guts.
    Last edited by cinderbird; 10-24-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    I agree, if using an infared bulb only give you a hot side temp of 82, that is way too cold and why the baby regurged.

If you can't get a UTH yet, can you at least get a bigger infared bulb for now ?

Please keep in mind that you will constantly have humidity problems with the bulb, which is another reason why people recommend UTH or Flexwatt. You will need to invest in a thermostat for your UTH, because unregulated it can get hot enough to burn your snake, which can be fatal. I picked up a cheaper model from Petco for $40, they can be as much as $250.

Do give the baby at least two weeks before you feed again, because the baby needs time for it's system to recover from the regurge or it will only happen again.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    You can also use a $10 lamp dimmer from Lowe's/walmart/home depot if you don't have a lot of money. I use one for my Ball python and it works okay.
    1.0.0 Blood Python, Chomper.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python, Petrie.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon, Yoshi.
    1.0.0 Barred Tiger Salamander, Watson.
    3 female ferrets, Lola, Cha-Cha and Crazy girl.
    1 male ferret, Rico.
    1 Female Mastiff/Boxer, Bella.

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: slight problem

Regurgitation is a life threatening problem. Your BP needs a UTH with a thermostat controlling it.
    You don’t want the glass over the UTH to get over 94 degrees so I would recommend a inferred thermometer like this to keep track of it:http://www.tempgun.com/
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast