Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

1 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Registered User thedragonsflame's Avatar
    Thanks

Escape artist in the making?

So I'm gonna guess that Neela is becoming quite comfortable in her new home and well adjusted. She is attempting to escape on a regular basis now. I've even caught her "standing" on the tip of her tail and nosing around the edge of the screen top. Last night she found a way to get in between the screen top and the saran wrap that was keeping the humidity levels up. I took it all apart and now am working on a new solution to keeping the humidity going (and I just got it at the perfect level too!). She calms down pretty good when I get her out and makes me also wonder if its a way to get my attention too.
    So my question is will this behavior continue even if she figures out there is no way out? The top is on pretty secure and I've even got extra weight on both ends to keep her from pushing it up and squishing her little head. Should I be worried for any reason? The enclosure is around 80 on the cool side and 92-93 on the warm side. Humidity levels go between 50-60% depending on the time of day.

Thanks!
    Flame & Neela

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Re: Escape artist in the making?

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonsflame View Post
    So I'm gonna guess that Neela is becoming quite comfortable in her new home and well adjusted. She is attempting to escape on a regular basis now.
    Sounds like the opposite to me and your snake is stressed...You should look over the sticky threads and check your husbandry to make sure your snake is set up properly.

Thanks
    My snake always tries to get out after something changes, new hide, clean tub, etc...They stop after they realize there is no escape. If they find a way out, they try it until they can't get out that way anymore.
    1.0.0 Blood Python, Chomper.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python, Petrie.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon, Yoshi.
    1.0.0 Barred Tiger Salamander, Watson.
    3 female ferrets, Lola, Cha-Cha and Crazy girl.
    1 male ferret, Rico.
    1 Female Mastiff/Boxer, Bella.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coldbloodaddict View Post
    Sounds like the opposite to me and your snake is stressed...You should look over the sticky threads and check your husbandry to make sure your snake is set up properly.
    I agree... constantly trying to escape is a sign of stress, not being comfortable! One of my Spotteds was suddenly desperate to escape, despite perfect temps and being comfortable for months - I quickly discovered it was because her bedding had mites. So definitely check the husbandry, look for mites, add a better hide if necessary, etc. Once you get everything perfect, the snake should calm down and become a typically lazy ball python.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 10-24-2010 at 02:42 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks
    P.S. Occasionally trying to escape is normal, especially if feeding day is near... my snakes become restless the day before their meals, and sometimes just wander for the heck of it. But if this is a continuous thing, take the advice mentioned above.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 10-24-2010 at 02:46 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

How long have you had her because when I bought my pastel a few weeks ago he would explore alot and sometimes try to get out for the first week, but now that he has explored everywhere he is comfortable and chills in his hide all the time.
    1.0 Pastel 66% VPI Het Axanthic (Ratchet)

Thanks

Definitely double check everything, and if there's nothing out of the norm, it might just be because she's "hunting". I notice that the ones with a good feeding response are always restless a couple days before feeding day, and maybe even a day after (especially my male, he is a PIG!) to see if they can find more food.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts