Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,232

2 members and 3,230 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99

Thread: Dehydrated?

Thanks

Dehydrated?

Its feeding day today. So i Lifted up the hide Mitch was in to see if he wasn't to far into the shedding process to eat. (his eyes are starting to get cloudy) And i noticed he has a few wrinkles? Why isnt he drinking? Im keeping his humidity at 70%. I change his water every day. And his temps are 81 cold and 94 hot. Im so scared
    0.1.0 Ball Python - Mitch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Dehydrated?

Relax. Dry wrinkly skin is part of the shedding process. His eyes will be cloudy for a few days, they will clear up and then a couple of days after that he will shed. His skin will get really dry and dull looking. This is the top layer getting ready to separate. All you need to do is make sure he has water, his temps and and humidity are good, and don't disturb him too much...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Relax. Dry wrinkly skin is part of the shedding process. His eyes will be cloudy for a few days, they will clear up and then a couple of days after that he will shed. His skin will get really dry and dull looking. This is the top layer getting ready to separate. All you need to do is make sure he has water, his temps and and humidity are good, and don't disturb him too much...
    phew. Okay good . Im trying to avoid handling him So i haven't in a couple of weeks. After the shed i was going to put him in a 20gal tank. How long after the shed should he be okay to swap him out?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekrause2000 View Post
    phew. Okay good . Im trying to avoid handling him So i haven't in a couple of weeks. After the shed i was going to put him in a 20gal tank. How long after the shed should he be okay to swap him out?
    Some snakes will eat during shed and some won't. My suggestion is to hold off on feeding until he sheds. After he sheds, feed him, wait 2 days and then move him to the other tank. That will give him almost a week or so to settle in before the next scheduled feeding day. In the meantime, make sure you have the 20 gal tank ready to go and the transition will be alot smoother...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Some snakes will eat during shed and some won't. My suggestion is to hold off on feeding until he sheds. After he sheds, feed him, wait 2 days and then move him to the other tank. That will give him almost a week or so to settle in before the next scheduled feeding day. In the meantime, make sure you have the 20 gal tank ready to go and the transition will be alot smoother...
    Oops... Mitch just ate :X But i have the tank ready, It was my mouse tank but i decided to throw them in a tub due to them being really smelly... So i washed it out really well with a bleach water solution. Im also thinking about switching from repti-bark to newspaper. Have you ever tried to clean out a 40gal tank in a small apartment bath tub? So many woodchips! So i immagine just picking up the paper and tossing it will be 500% easier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekrause2000 View Post
    Oops... Mitch just ate :X But i have the tank ready, It was my mouse tank but i decided to throw them in a tub due to them being really smelly... So i washed it out really well with a bleach water solution. Im also thinking about switching from repti-bark to newspaper. Have you ever tried to clean out a 40gal tank in a small apartment bath tub? So many woodchips! So i immagine just picking up the paper and tossing it will be 500% easier.
    Since he already ate, you can move him the day after he sheds. For cleaning, I scoop out as much as possible with a pooper scooper, then use the hose attachment on my vacuum to get the small stuff. If you don't have a vacuum with a hose attachment a Dust Buster will work just as well...

Thanks

the fun thing is sometimes they will feed in shed and sometimes not! my big girl normally always ate in shed, this time she didnt want to. balls are finicky little things
    Last edited by ameh78; 10-18-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    0.1 normals, 1.0 spider, 0.1 pastel, 7.5 crested geckos, 1.0 leopard gecko, two dogs, three cats, birds, rats, mice and an old lady (shes the viscous one!)