Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

1 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ATB owners please chime in

Hey guys I want a display animal and ATB seems the way to go right now. They are cheap, and seem to be easier to care for then a ETB and or GTP. This would be my first arboreal snake and probably a good starter for me. I like the way they look, the price is right, they seem to eat very well also.

How do you guys have your ATB enclosure setup? Can you post pics please for me? I've seen some people using tall enclosures and some using a wide enclosure. I am not really sure on what route to go when it comes to cage size or the best way to heat it and still keep humidity up.

Thanks

Re: ATB owners please chime in

As a display animal, keep in mind they are nocturnal and not out during the day. Mine is usually coiled up on the bottom of his enclosure behind/under a fake vine during the daylight hours. I have a yearling I keep in a rubbermaid hanging file box and I mist every day, with a UTH on the back of it. I need to move him to something bigger soon though.

If you haven't already, check out http://www.amazon-alliance.com/

It's the best site around for ATB info and pictures. Everyone there is very willing to help out and share info...

Steve

0.0.2 Corn Snake
    1.0 Kunashir Island Japanese Rat Snake
    1.1 Pine Snake
    1.0 Spotted Python

Thanks
    Was browsing and saw your post...I keep 6 ATBs and am also part of AA...if that means anything. Anyways, leper65 is right that ATBs tend to be more nocturnal. They are definitely an awesome snake to keep...incredibly variable in colors which make them a great display snake. They are fairly easy to keep and need misting every day or so. Their cages need to be more arboreal (there are arguments that they don't need to climbing height though), normal 2/3 their body lengths, lots of branches are good for them (about body width) as they'll lay across several, and obviously a water bowl (changed daily or every other day for soaking/humidity). A hide on the ground and in the branches is good, but not necessary...I've found that mine will just curl up in branches and I have a few fake pothos vines that they'll curl into. You can make it as elaborate or as simple as you like...lots of plants and hides = won't see them much, bare branches with a few fake vines = more exposure and seeing them more often. A lot of AA members prefer Barrs cages for humidity and simplicity. Heating is simple too with uv light for great color and a heat pad on one side for warmth...easier to do with a longer tank than taller tank.

Feeding is really easy if you get captive bred atb's....I've found mine will eat ANYTHING offered...even fingers as most atb owners will tell you...most atbs aren't the friendliest. haha They are definitely great snakes though...very inquisitive. Check out the site like leper65 suggested...a lot of helpful advice. Good luck!

Thanks
    I've done a buch of research on ATBs but their aggressive temper sortof stopped me from getting one. As far as a set up goes...make sure you put in some branches for perching...if you house it in a tub then you can drill some holes in the side and use bent coat hangers. Some fake plants wouldn't hurt, and make sure there is a water dish for soaking on the bottom. These snakes get all their water from dew on leaves or drops of water on themselves. Misting them would benefit them. They are a great, cheap beginners arboreal snake (Garden phase- $50, Halloween phase- $60) But be careful, they wont hesitate to bite and have longer fangs.

Thanks

Re: ATB owners please chime in

Quote Originally Posted by gold217 View Post
    I've done a buch of research on ATBs but their aggressive temper sortof stopped me from getting one. As far as a set up goes...make sure you put in some branches for perching...if you house it in a tub then you can drill some holes in the side and use bent coat hangers. Some fake plants wouldn't hurt, and make sure there is a water dish for soaking on the bottom. These snakes get all their water from dew on leaves or drops of water on themselves. Misting them would benefit them. They are a great, cheap beginners arboreal snake (Garden phase- $50, Halloween phase- $60) But be careful, they wont hesitate to bite and have longer fangs.
    I wouldn't say a good "beginners" arboreal snake. Although they are more tolerant to temp and humidity fluctuations that GTP's and ETB's, they still require alot of attention to husbandry. Also just like you said, if you are going to keep one you should be comfortable with getting bit so to speak. Like the post say above, nothing will help more than http://www.amazon-alliance.com/

Paul

leper65/bioteacher - im on AA too, and i love it!! best atb resource on the web hands down.
    Last edited by Fizox; 07-14-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: addition of text
    1.1.1 Amazon Tree Boa's
    1.0 Diamond x Jungle Carpet Python
    1.0 Pastel Ball
    0.1 Spider Ball
    1.2 Crested Gecko's

1.0 Doberman Pinscher x pterodactyl (Sidney)