Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

2 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    My Brooks is gentle as a kitten, unless it smells a mouse. Then it strikes at the air, at my hand, at any movement. This is a good thing, it eats like a starving shark.

Aside from the feeding response, it has never offered to strike or bite.

Each snake is different. I had a Black King I kept from my back yard for a while. One day, it just started biting and latching each time I held it. It went back to my yard...

Had a Cal King that was great, one that bit and was flighty.

Best of luck with your search!

Thanks
    We have several kings of various ages, and this is what I have learned from ours....

Mostly, they are all show. They like to musk, especially the little ones. Our Mexican Black is probably the most bitey, and when he bites, he doesn't let go! He's too small to even break skin, but its pretty hysterical to see him get all worked up and latch on to your finger.

A lot of times, its just a bunch of tail rattling. Though, one of our new ones, a striped Cali King..... He is very weird about eating. He will strike at the rat/mouse, and hiss, but he never grabs it. Just strike...hiss... and back off. We just lay it on the hide, and he eventually comes around and eats it. Weirdo.

Our Goini is the least flighty and aggressive. She's never struck, hissed, musked or anything. She's also very pretty to look at... but the least active in her tank. She just likes to hide.

ALL of them are good eaters. With the exception of the striped one, they all eat whenever offered. Our largest Cali would eat until he exploded if you let him.

They make really great pet snakes. They are active in their tanks, and pretty easy to care for. Plus they are WAY less expensive then BPs! Good luck with which ever one you choose!
    1.3 Normal BPs 1.0 het pied 0.1 pos. het ghost 1.0 Pastel 09 "Pretty Boi" 1.0 08 Cinny "Mr. Jerk", 1.0 07 Ghost 0.1 '10 Lesser "Jane"
    2.1 Cali Kings 0.0.1 Goini Kingsnake "Banana Slurpie" 1.0 Mexican Black King "Blackie"
    0.1 Rainbow Boa 1.1 Kenyan sand boas "Sid and Nancy" 0.1 08 Anery RTB het Sharp Albino "Monroe" 1.0 Bolivian Silverback Boa "Gorilla!" 0.1 Dwarf Boa
    0.0.1 Albino Burm
    1.0 Hognose "Pug"
    0.1 Carpet Pythons "Chompy McEatsALot"
    0.1 Blood Pythons
    1.0 African House Snakes
    1.0 Rusty Brindled Rat "Cletus"
    1.0 Schneider Skink dubbed "Titus"
    0.1 pitbull "Luna" 1.0 Husbands 0.1 human child

Thanks

Re: Kingsnake temperament

I've kept many different kings over the years and have to say that Brooksi are the most docile - hands down. Of course, there are some that are just mean and will bite or musk and actually seem to enjoy it, but of all the Brooksi I've own and worked with I've never had a bad one - ever. Cal kings on the other hand..... mine very rarely attempt to bite but will musk and spaz out for any or no reason at all. regardless of the amount of handling you do with them.

If you want a pet kingsnake, you just cant go wrong with a Brooksi.

P.R

Thanks
    I'm gonna have t agree with the Florida/Brooksi Kingsnake. I've had my 4 year old guy for about a month now and hes the best darn snake I have. Very active, very curious, amazing personality but watch out when he smells anything that resembles food. Just today (hes in blue) he missed his first strike on the f/t mouse and launched himself less than a second later at my arm and ended up halfway out of the tank with his face in my bed from the strike. Instantly backed up and struck again at the mouse I was waving around at him. He does NOT beat around the bush when it comes to food! haha Handling him is a joy but he will poop if hes been out too long but otherwise hes great! Get one! haha

Thanks
    Good point - the Brooksi I have is active and curious as well. Far more so than my Corn or Milk. She seems to come to the front of her bin almost asking me to take her out

Thanks
    I've got a baby/entering juvenile black mexi king (ebony) and she's never even acted like she was going to strike at me. She is a tad flighty but calms down after about 30 seconds. She's also very active in the tank and will even come out of her hide when she sees me look in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123