Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

2 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

New pick up - bad shape

hey everyone

I went to visit my in-laws today and as many may have read my previous thread pertaining to this chameleon, she was going to end up in rough shape...

today i was looking at the chameleon and noticed both it's eyes were closed and not even making an attempt at opening, half a shed still stuck on and further inspection showed mites all over her enclosure and her. not to mention what looks like mouth rot. she was under 24 hour 60 watt white light bulb.

so i removed her from her enclosure and put her into a plastic container with some warm water and a rag for her to stand on if need be to drown the mites and give her some exposure to humidity to help with the shed while i cleaned out the enclosure. temps in home are always in the 60s.

after im done my father in-law says i can take her home with me and repeatedly tells me to, like he just didnt want her anymore, but said its because ill be able to care for her better than him.

so i now own a chameleon with one eye half way open and a small case of mouth rot. i will try my best to nurse her back to health.

any advice other than take her to a vet, because he didnt want to bring her and i dont have the money to bring her.

thanks

Thanks

Re: New pick up - bad shape

Be very careful not to bring mites in your home,they are a PAIN TO GET RID OF.
    Last edited by BPelizabeth; 10-24-2010 at 12:57 AM. Reason: language

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BALLZY For This Useful Post:

Rorschach (10-16-2010)

Thanks
    99% positive zero mites were brought in

Thanks

What kind of cham is it? Make sure you have proper UVB lighting and calcium supplements. The recommended lighting is a reptisun 5.0 UVB linear flourescent. If one of the compact flourescent or spiral UVB bulbs were used they have been reported to cause blindness. No UVB at all and you could be looking at a case of MBD. Vet care is definitely required either way but you can at least provide the proper lighting in the mean time. I use rep-cal w/o D3 nearly every feeding lightly dusted on crickets, and Rep-cal w/ D3 twice a month. Make sure your cham is well hydrated. Hornworms or silkworms are great for this if he will eat them. If you can get him to drink from a turkey baster dripping slowly on the end of his nose that would work also. Any way you can, get him to drink as much as possible. PM me if you want more information. I have a pretty good care sheet that covers most of the important points of basic husbandry for Panthers and Veilds are nearly identical in there care requirements. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by granitestate View Post
    99% positive zero mites were brought in
    How positive are you that no eggs came along with the cham? You may find yourself with a fresh infestation in a week or two or three. I have no idea if P-A-M is safe for chams or not, but you'll want to research safe methods for dealing with mites and their eggs. And in the meantime, make sure to keep it well away from any other herps in your collection and plan to do so for 2-3 months until you're 100% positive it has a clean bill of health in all areas.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    From what i read PAM can not be used on Chams.