Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,234

2 members and 3,232 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

My First BP, Sasha!!

I thought I'd post a few pics of my baby! She looks a little skinny to me, but I don't know her weight (no scale yet). I tried feeding her a F/T fuzzy last night with all the tips I've read on here, but she'd just smell it, then ignore the thing. It was definitely warm enough and I even split the skull to expose brain matter... Oh well, next time I'll just try a live fuzzy. Also, can anyone tell approximate age just from the pics? Thanks!!!

Thanks
    Aww she is precious!
    She doesn't look underfed to me because I don't see the triangle shape, however I'm sure she can take something bigger than a fuzzy. You should do rats. Rat weanling or pup should be just right for her. Ideally the prey should be as big as the width of the largest part of her body.

Depending on when you got here I would just leave her alone for a week or two and then try and feed. Because she may need to adjust to the move and her new environment.

As far as the age. It is very hard to determine age from a bps appearance because so many factors contribute to the size of a snake. How large of prey and how often they were fed plays a large role. If they aren't fed adequately they remain small and short.
    She looks young to me. However she could be a year old, it just depends. Do you know how much she weighs?

Thanks

Re: My First BP, Sasha!!

Quote Originally Posted by Generationshell View Post
    Aww she is precious!
    She doesn't look underfed to me because I don't see the triangle shape, however I'm sure she can take something bigger than a fuzzy. You should do rats. Rat weanling or pup should be just right for her. Ideally the prey should be as big as the width of the largest part of her body.

Depending on when you got here I would just leave her alone for a week or two and then try and feed. Because she may need to adjust to the move and her new environment.

As far as the age. It is very hard to determine age from a bps appearance because so many factors contribute to the size of a snake. How large of prey and how often they were fed plays a large role. If they aren't fed adequately they remain small and short.
    She looks young to me. However she could be a year old, it just depends. Do you know how much she weighs?
    Well, just went to the local pet store and their live rodent selection was pretty bare... I looked at mice and rats. They had nothing close to her width. Apparently their rodents have had a breeding drought... I settled for 3 pinkies and she ate them one after the other. They were too small for her to even constrict them so she struck and swallowed them live! I don't have a scale yet but I'll definitely pick one up tomorrow.
    Last edited by njdad61; 10-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.