I returned home yesterday from a short period of hospitalization in an oxycodone medicated state.
I have always prided myself on never having had a critter escape.
My most recent acquisition is a 09' Sonoran Gopher that I have been keeping for the time being in a Sterelite bin. The bin has no locks on it and I have been setting a book on top of it to ensure that he can't pop the top off and escape.
When I checked on my charges upon returning home from the hospital, I evidently forgot to replace the book.
I went out this morning and purchased feeders for everyone and the first thing that I noticed was that the book was not on top of the gopher house.
And of course he was gone.
I am in a pretty beat up condition and I didn't relish the idea of a search. I got a bright led flashlight that let me see good in the nooks and crannies and started searching the cramped warm spaces to no avail.
Luckily, I eventually found him under a bookcase against an outside wall in what I wouldn't have thought would be a choice spot for him to hang out.
As I dropped him into his enclosure he took the mouse that was inside before he hit the ground.
So the upshot is that I can no longer pat myself on the back for being too smart to let a reptile escape.