Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,415

5 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I still stand by my recommendations on treatment.
    And I don't disagree (for the second or third time) that they are prone to them. But it needs to be treated or the animal will DIE, which it seems like the OP doesn't want

ALSO, I think the OP is keeping these animals as pets, seeing as how they asked about taking it to the -vet- which is something a feeder breeder would almost never do.
    They didn't ask how to kill their animal, they asked how to treat it, so no, it's not as simple as that, you're response isn't answering their question

Thanks
    Pink eye, can be transfered from one animal to another. IF IT IS PINK EYE, it can be transfered.
    The poster didn't provide photos, so I was covering all bases.

Warm compresses, and washing are a GREAT treatment for rodent problems. I don't know why you'd discourage them at all.

And yes, there are antibiotics, for rodents, that go -in- the eye. It's a cream.

Since your solution to all medical problems seem to be 'feed them off' you clearly must not have much experience in treating medical issues in rodents. So don't be so quick to dismiss helpful advice that may help someone's animals.

Thanks

Re: ASF with eye infection ??

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    I still stand by my recommendations on treatment.
    And I don't disagree (for the second or third time) that they are prone to them. But it needs to be treated or the animal will DIE, which it seems like the OP doesn't want

ALSO, I think the OP is keeping these animals as pets, seeing as how they asked about taking it to the -vet- which is something a feeder breeder would almost never do.
    They didn't ask how to kill their animal, they asked how to treat it, so no, it's not as simple as that, you're response isn't answering their question
    This is in the FEEDERS section of a forum. This leads me to believe they are FEEDERS.

Thanks
    Sorry , I failed to mention that these are feeders. I am relatively new (6 months or so) with breeding rodents and these are the only two that I have with this issue. I was only considering going to the vet due to the fact that they are both nursing mothers to a litter of nearly of nearly 20 pups each that are only a week old. Since this does not sound to be immediately life threatening , I will likely skip the vet and will eventually feed them off as the pups are weaned off. I haven't had a moment to get the photos up but I will provide just for reference sake before the end of tommorow. Until this post I did not realize that it is common for ASF's to get eye infections. Do they have any other issues I should look out for ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 88Snakes For This Useful Post:

ericzerka24 (10-14-2010)

Thanks

This is a stupid argument. I'm going to clear it up right now. Diseases that look similar in other species does not mean they are the same disease that we see in humans. This is nothing even CLOSE to what pink eye looks like, so I don't know why you guys keep mentioning it. I have fed off large amounts of animals with this condition. It is in the entire species and it's just the way things are.

This is an issue of tumors that form around the eyes, legs, mouth and genitals. The tumors are called keratoacanthomas and squamous carcinomas, are associated with a papillomavirus.

Some rats are more prone to the virus due to their genetics, but the virus has practically infected the entire species (similar to how certain cold strains are fought off in people but occasionally kill people who are prone) so it is genetically influenced.

There is no known way to treat it, some rats can fight it off but others will get worse. Some may never show signs of the tumors. Antibiotics don't work on viruses, friends.

You can read a little bit more about it here:
    http://www.metalmonkeyexotics.com/blog/?page_id=333 Connie and Chris sum up the issue pretty nicely there.
    There are also a few papers that have been written on the subject, and you can look them up if you're interested.

P.S.
    I have found through experience that if I delay cleaning or the bedding is particularly dusty, the tumors and infected eyes tend to get worse. Consistent cleaning can prevent irritants to the tumors which are often bit and scratched open, but feeding them off is best.
    Last edited by blackcrystal22; 10-14-2010 at 09:52 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

ericzerka24 (10-14-2010),Mike Cavanaugh (10-15-2010)

Thanks
    I use the ASF section here, because it is more widely used than an ASF pet forum, even though mine are not feeders. I know of several other people who do this as well.
    Ericzerka, even though they are feeders (the OP has spoken!) he still asked how to treat.

Pink eye can, and will affect rodents, and in fact, can and will transfer from rodents to humans, and vice versa.
    I was not arguing that the eye problem isn't what you're saying it is.
    I was simply covering all bases, and suggesting treatments for the animals since the poster asked. The treatment would be affective whether it's the standard 'tumor' problem (for the symptoms), pink eye, URI, or tooth abscess.

Washing, warm compresses, and a bit of antibiotics (this won't make the tumors go away necessarily, but it will fight off bacteria that collect in the effected area, and prevent further infection) can keep the problem at bay until your litters are weaned. At which point, I would suggest culling.
    If your ASFs are not easily handled, then you can scruff them (they usually respond well to this, and go stiff) with a leather glove (if necessary) hold them gently against something (like your leg, if you're sitting) and treat the symptoms.

If your ASF gets too sick, it will not eat enough food, and digest it properly to nurse its litter, so I would do anything you can to make it more comfortable, while it's nursing.

How old is your litter? Hopefully not too young!
    Last edited by Rhasputin; 10-15-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks
    ,they are feeders served their purpose feed them off start a new group
    Last edited by greghall; 10-15-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

10. The Following User Says Thank You to greghall For This Useful Post:

ericzerka24 (10-15-2010)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sabresfan88 View Post
    Sorry , I failed to mention that these are feeders.
    Given those are FEEDERS at this point you need to decide what the best course of action is, which imply a solution that is the easiest, fastest and most cost effective one.

Animal that are feeders or produce feeders to me means that sooner or later they will meet with a snake and in the case of disease, injury or lack of production, it generally translates as SOONER. (might sound cruel to some but those to me are not pets they are feeders)

If you feel they are worth to be treated than by all means do so however in your position I would feed them of and start again from scratch
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Ok Rhasputin, you don't seem to be getting the point so please allow me be a little more direct. Again this is not meant as a personal attack against you. We always welcome new folks on these forums, and I am glad to have you here.

That said, please stop giving medical advice that you are in no way, shape, or form qualified to give. Everything you have suggested:

*Putting antibiotic in their eye
    *Applying warm compress
    *Separating the rat with the symptoms until it clears up
    *Giving them a bath
    *It may be pink eye
    *It is contagious
    *It is a tooth abscesses
    *It is from imbreeding.
    *An asf with eye issues or sores will stop feeding making it not able to provide for its babies
    *If it goes untreated the animal will die

All of these things are simply WRONG.

You suggesting that my practice of feeding off the unhealthy ones is a result of some kind of lack of experience is laughable. It also further demonstrates your current knowledge level, and why others should proceed with extreme caution before following any advice you give on anything having to do with ASF's.

Please just take a step back and do some more reading and learning before giving medical advice. Trust me. Once you have been breeding them for a couple years you will come back to this thread and you will laugh at your own replies.

Good Day Sir,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Cavanaugh; 10-15-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

ericzerka24 (10-15-2010),SlitherinSisters (10-31-2010)

Thanks
    *Putting antibiotic in their eye
    *Applying warm compress
    *Separating the rat with the symptoms until it clears up
    *Giving them a bath
    *It may be pink eye
    *It is contagious (If it was pink eye, it IS contagious)
    *It is from imbreeding. (I think you mean INbreeding)
    *An asf with eye issues or sores will stop feeding making it not able to provide for its babies
    *If it goes untreated the animal will die

All of these things (with a ) are proper ways of treating small mammals. FACT

I didn't say that the ASF will stop feeding. Never said that. But if an ASF is sick, it will effect the appetite, and it it's not not getting enough nutrition, it will not be able to properly raise a healthy and hearty litter. FACT.

There is GREAT potential for the animal to die if it is untreated. The infection can spread, the pain can cause appetite loss, and a great NUMBER of other things. The animal isn't 100% guaranteed to die from the problem, but it's likely going to be the cause of its demise if a severe case is untreated.

ASFs get pink eye, and it can spread. This case may not be pink eye, but it -can- and will happen. Like I said I was covering all bases when I mentioned pink eye.

I don't understand why you continue to fight me on this. These things are facts.
    I have treated many a rodent in my time, and treatment for ASFs is just as you would treat a rat, mouse, or hamster, or whatever! (Also, ASFs are -not- rats)

Feeding off un-healthy ones isn't why you appear inexperienced in treating these animals. It's the fact that when someone ASKS for assistance in treating an animal, instead of giving advice on how to do so, you have repeatedly told them to kill off the animal. It's obviously not what the poster wants, or asked for, so there's no need to repeat yourself, or argue any further.

To the Original Poster: If you want your litters to survive, and be healthy, keep an eye on the mothers. If the problem worsens, treat them for their symptoms and cull them once the litters are weaned. If the mother's are losing weight try feeding them scrambled eggs, and meat scraps for an extra boost. If their eyes swell shut, cleaning them with a wet q-tip may help. If the eye gets 'glued' (by eye 'gook') shut, then definitely clean it off, or it will only get worse.

Alternatively, you can go ahead and cull the mothers, and hand-raise the litters, but this is very difficult, even for an experienced hand rearer, and is suggested as a last resort. Kitten milk from the pet store, or KMR are good formulas to feed the babies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast