Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

0 members and 3,391 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

ASF with eye infection ??

I've got 2 Adult ASF's that appear to have eye infections. Each has a sunken eye and is quite red and swollen , almost to the point of being closed. Any suggestions on how to help clear this up without seeing a vet? Ultimately, I will go to a vet if needed but I'd prefer to avoid it if there is a simple solution to help correct this.
    I will try to get some photos up tommorow

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    They are prone to this, that's wahy it is suggested that they be fed off after 5-6 months of breeding.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    You can try anti-biotics, and warm compresses.

It could be pink-eye. Which can spread to your entire colony.
    It can also be caused by tooth abscesses. If you notice a lump in their jaw, that is likely the cause. Nothing can really be done about this, other than large amounts of expensive surgery.

If it's pink eye, it can be treated, but you'll want to quarantine the animals. It can spread.

Thanks

Re: ASF with eye infection ??

They get these lumps once that get 9-12 months of age. They will eventually turn into open sores probably do to scratching.

Feed em off once the lumps start gettin pretty bad and start a new group.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    They are prone to this, that's wahy it is suggested that they be fed off after 5-6 months of breeding.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    You can try anti-biotics, and warm compresses.

It could be pink-eye. Which can spread to your entire colony.
    It can also be caused by tooth abscesses. If you notice a lump in their jaw, that is likely the cause. Nothing can really be done about this, other than large amounts of expensive surgery.

If it's pink eye, it can be treated, but you'll want to quarantine the animals. It can spread.
    LOL, NO.

It just happens.... usually in older breeders around "retirement"... but sometimes happens to younger ones too. It ain't pink eye or tooth abscesses... It is a trait of the species.

I usually ignore it... Usually it is mild and does not have much effect on them. Every once in it there is a rat that seems to really be effected by it, those get fed off.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

daveadk (10-16-2010),SlitherinSisters (10-31-2010)

Thanks
    Getting infections in the eye is not a 'trait of the species' it means that your animal is sick, no matter how you look at it. Sure they might be prone to them, but it still means they're sick.

Animals with curly fur, are also prone to eye infections, are we going to call that a 'trait of the species' and not treat them? No.

At the very least, warm compresses and anti-biotics can solve your problem. Anti-biotics are cheap, and easy to administer, and if your ASFs are even slightly handleable, you should be able to hold them still long enough to clean their eye, administer medication (wether it be in the eye, or orally), and hold on a compress for a minute.
    Last edited by Rhasputin; 10-14-2010 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks
    LOL feed them off! time to switch out breeders,around 50% of older breeders get it also wait till you see the warts they get eweeeeee.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Getting infections in the eye is not a 'trait of the species' it means that your animal is sick, no matter how you look at it. Sure they might be prone to them, but it still means they're sick.

Animals with curly fur, are also prone to eye infections, are we going to call that a 'trait of the species' and not treat them? No.

At the very least, warm compresses and anti-biotics can solve your problem. Anti-biotics are cheap, and easy to administer, and if your ASFs are even slightly handleable, you should be able to hold them still long enough to clean their eye, administer medication (wether it be in the eye, or orally), and hold on a compress for a minute.
    I am not trying to attack you personally. IMHO I just think you are giving bad advice... and to be honest the things that you are suggesting (like the warm compress) makes it pretty clear that you probably have had limited to no experience with this species.

Again, I am not trying to fight with you or anything negative. I suggest you get some more hands on experience with the species before you start handing out "medical advice" on them.

Should antibiotics be used in their eye? NO.

Should warm compress be used? NO! although it would make a funny utube video if it were done with bare hands....

Is it something that will spread from one rat to another by contact? No.

Is it a genetic disorder? Yes, I believe so. It happens in one of my lines more then the others...

What is it? Not sure, I certainly don't claim to be a vet. My educated guess though would be allergies of some kind.... though food and bedding changes don't fix it.

Like I said earlier. Usually it is mild and does not effect them. If it is ever a bad case and they seem to be effected by it, simply feed off and replace. Remember these are FEEDERS!

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

daveadk (10-16-2010),SlitherinSisters (10-31-2010)

Thanks

Mike,

In my limited experience, I’ve noticed this as well. At first I thought I had sick rats so I fed them off. I started new colonies from different lines and it still happens occasionally. I’ve noticed it in only females but again, that's just my experience. In addition to a sometimes disgusting eye, I’ve had 2 females also show something that looked like tumors on their tails. I say tumors, but in reality they look more like warts or bumps. I am not sure if they are anywhere other than the tail. They are just more visible on that hairless part of the body. This got me thinking that it could be something similar to cancer. This is of course just a thought and I have nothing but assumptions to base that on. If it were to be cancer or some genetic birth defect; I have wondered if it has anything to do with inbreeding. I limit inbreeding and add blood lines in my own collection but I have ALWAYS purchased my asf from a reptile show in Tampa. You also live in Florida so the possibility exists that we’re all working off relatives. Who knows if the infected colony that I first had isn’t simply 2nd or third cousins to the colony I have now. The last show I went to here only had 1 person who was selling live asf’s. With such limited options, how could I be sure this guy didn’t buy his rats from the same guy I did last year making my newest colony sisters to a colony I already have? I guess this could be a stretch but healthy animals don’t just develop the horrid infections that I’ve seen.
    IMHO I don’t know how I feel about it being allergies. I’ve noticed the problem waxes and wanes with individuals even though I haven’t changed anything.
    I agree that this is not being transferred to others by contact.
    The only unique thing I’ve tried to help the issue is giving the infected rat a bath. Yes, a bath and I only did it once but it had positive results. This particular breeding female had been getting progressively worse and I wasn’t ready to feed her off. She was having great litters and all in all everything else was perfect. So I ran about an inch of lukewarm water in my bathtub. I put a space heater in the bathroom to get the room nice and comfortable for her when she came out. I DID NOT use any soap or medicine, only water. I tried to limit the emotional trauma as much as possible so all I did was gently pull her to the deep end (she could still stand above water) and let her run back to the shallow side (which wad no water at all.) I did this until I was confident that her eye had been rinsed well, about 5 minutes. I took her out and placed her (still in the warm room) in a deep plastic tub with an old towel. I let her chill out and dry off before I put her back in with her family. The result – I successfully removed the crud which apparently allowed the infection to clear up within about 24 hours. No, it’s not gone; it’s extraordinarily cleaner with less swelling and less mucus. The next time it happens, I intend to try it again.
    2.0 Normal BP
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Albino Cal King
    1.1 Albino ASF
    0.0.3 YellowBelly Sliders
    1.1 Orange Cats
    0.0.2 Goldfish

Thanks

I have recently had my first batches of ASF pups.
    I am breeding for colour, and temperament in mine, and using the extras (or the duds) as feeders.
    I handle mine from day 1+, this ensures that as adults ,they are used to being handled, and are easy to manipulate.

Are your ASFs skittish? Or are they generally slow moving and laid back?
    I've never seen a skittish or high strung ASF, but if yours are, I'd suggest a few days wait before handling. Though, you should reach in and stroke the mother on the back if you can, to let her realize you aren't a threat to her, or the litter.
    You know, for just having your first litter you really seem to know a lot about the species.

I think that anyone that has been breeding them for some time now can agree that they are prone to getting these bumps with age. It isnt just around the eyes, they get them all over their bodies.

As Mike states, they are FEEDERS. Feed them off, simple as that.
    Last edited by ericzerka24; 10-14-2010 at 03:40 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ericzerka24 For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (10-31-2010)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast