Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,226

3 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Plain and simple fed them off. Foster the babies out. Do not start another group with the babies of this group. I do all of this on a regular basis. Whether or not it is contagious you don't want the other animals to contract it if it is.
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-15-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    1.2 Rottweilers
    0.1 Amercian Bully
    0.1 African Gray Congo
    0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
    1.1 Beardies
    9.14 Ball Pythons
    3.3.2 Crested Geckos
    1.1.2 Gargoyle Geckos

http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...2-72fa119c6e12

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teresa For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (10-15-2010)

Thanks
    That's some reasonable advice.

Teresa, why is it that you don't start a new group with the babies? Do you do it to discontinue the genes?

Thanks

Re: ASF with eye infection ??

I'm done with this stupid arguement....IMO and from MY EXPERIENCE, feed them off....over and out

Thanks
    If I find a problem with the breeders I do not want to deal with in the future I try to eliminate that gene all together. For example I have a line of ambers I was working with that constantly produced well but ate half of their babies buy weaning. I thought it was a protein thing so I kept back 4 females and two males, changed the food to a higher protein. I mixed them with some of the pieds and the amber females continued to eat their babies. I deiced to reduced the amber genes down to 1 amber male and fed of most of the amber females. I am down to only one amber female who produces large litters and she has not eaten any offspring as of yet. This is just an example of how I have weeded out the "bad seeds" if you will.
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-15-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    1.2 Rottweilers
    0.1 Amercian Bully
    0.1 African Gray Congo
    0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
    1.1 Beardies
    9.14 Ball Pythons
    3.3.2 Crested Geckos
    1.1.2 Gargoyle Geckos

http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...2-72fa119c6e12

Thanks
    Sounds good.
    I thought that is what you meant, but was not 100% with the way it was originally worded.
    I am the same way with my show (mouse) breeders. If anyone catches a cold, or gets a URI, and cannot over come it themselves, they are weeded out. For show animals, this is very important, because their health needs to be 100% at all times to maintain the proper standards for showing!

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: ASF with eye infection ??

I feel no further need to argue with you about why each and every one of your suggested treatments is WRONG. Those that have been around for a while and have more experience with the species already know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    I didn't say that the ASF will stop feeding. Never said that. But if an ASF is sick, it will effect the appetite, and it it's not not getting enough nutrition, it will not be able to properly raise a healthy and hearty litter. FACT.

There is GREAT potential for the animal to die if it is untreated. The infection can spread, the pain can cause appetite loss, and a great NUMBER of other things. The animal isn't 100% guaranteed to die from the problem, but it's likely going to be the cause of its demise if a severe case is untreated.
    Seriously I have to ask. Are you just making this crap up as you go? I have NEVER seen a case where the eye condition mentioned has led to the death of an animal... nor have I ever seen it cause the mom to not be able to properly raise a litter... nor have I seen it spread in some way to other parts of the body.

ASFs get pink eye, and it can spread. This case may not be pink eye, but it -can- and will happen. Like I said I was covering all bases when I mentioned pink eye.
    Oh they do huh? That is very interesting. I don't recall hearing of a veterinary confirmed case of pink eye in ASF's. So I guess we will have to take your word on that...

I don't understand why you continue to fight me on this. These things are facts.
    I have treated many a rodent in my time, and treatment for ASFs is just as you would treat a rat, mouse, or hamster, or whatever! (Also, ASFs are -not- rats)
    Hang around these forums a little longer and you will learn that when you declare something as a "fact" people won't just take your word for it. Thankfully.

You are making the simple mistake of taking your apparent knowledge of mice and rats and assuming that it also applies to ASF's. Some of us have been around ASF's for a LONG time. This line of thinking is wrong.

Feeding off un-healthy ones isn't why you appear inexperienced in treating these animals. It's the fact that when someone ASKS for assistance in treating an animal, instead of giving advice on how to do so, you have repeatedly told them to kill off the animal. It's obviously not what the poster wants, or asked for, so there's no need to repeat yourself, or argue any further.
    We are in the feeder section of a snake forum. The OP who is raising feeder ASF's asked a question about an eye condition, and how best to treat it. The only correct answer from a feeder breeder standpoint is to feed off. This is in the best interest of the animal and the breeders time, production, and money. That is why EVERYONE who actually has substantial experience breeding the species has also recommended feeding them off.

Luckily, it appears as though the OP got the answer they were looking for:

Quote Originally Posted by Sabresfan88 View Post
    Sorry , I failed to mention that these are feeders... Since this does not sound to be immediately life threatening , I will likely skip the vet and will eventually feed them off as the pups are weaned off.
    Last edited by Mike Cavanaugh; 10-17-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

ericzerka24 (10-17-2010)

Thanks

Last edited by Rhasputin; 10-17-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123