Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,918

1 members and 2,917 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,561
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Puffed wheat and rice? Other Q's about the stickied rodent mix

What the heck is it?

Just that. What's a brand name of the stuff that I will likely know about and be able to look for a generic to buy? I'm gonna check that I can find all the things needed for the stickied rodent feed mix, check prices, and then eventually do an experiment to see if it's all it's cracked up to be. I'm also curious about what "dried split peas and lentils, dried fruit and nut mix from Walmart" are about exactly.

Also, in says to feed what "you are eating". Specifically? (Besides what's listed).

Thanks
    Puffed rice is like rice krispies. Cheerios are also good.

I feed my mice a mixture of seeds, grains, nuts, fresh fruit and veggies, and the occassional meal worms and crickets, meat scraps, and eggs.

Grain is cheap. You can buy 50lb bags of it at feed stores for $10-$15 bucks.
    Seeds, you can get from Wild Birds Unlimited for great prices. Seeds from pet stores can cost $10 a pound, but seed from WBU is about $10-$15 for 20 pounds.

I also recommend dog food, in the mix. Holistic is better, because it has no corn or grains in it. Corn is virtually useless for mice.

Some of this is more or less unnecessary for a feeder breeder, but I breed for show, so my mice need to be super muscular, and large.

I give some to my neighbor when I cull, for feeders. He is amazed sometimes how large my mice can be. I have mice that, from nose to tail tip are as long as my fore-arm, about 12 inches long.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Very helpful, thanks! Is there any other sort of puffed rice besides Rice Krispies? Because those are loaded with sugar and sticky...

I just found 7 babies under one of my rats, and the other female is going into labor (bloody discharge), so I feel what I am feeding is doing good, but I am still curious if a sort of mix like this would do any better.

Thanks
    Well, I think the healthier you feed your mice, the healthier your snakes will be.

I'm not sure of other brands, I'm sure there are off brands that are sompletely sugar free. Try Walmart, they're sure to have some mysterious off brands.