Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,444

2 members and 3,442 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Need freshwater fish help--ASAP!!!!

It seems to me that you have too much gravel. A tank only needs about 1" of gravel...which really isn't even needed if the tank is setup properly (I have several tanks with no gravel at all).

Either way...continue doing 50% water changes each week or even bi-weekly. It will eventually sort itself out.
    -Jordan

Balls
    0.1 Pinstripe.............................1.0 DH Lavender Snow
    0.2 PH Lavender Albino.............0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Pastel PH Ghost..................1.0 Pastel Het Ghost
    0.2 PH Ghost (Twins)................1.0 Cinnamon
    0.1 Het TSK Axanthic................1.3 Mojave
    0.1 Het Albino..........................1.0 Albino PH Pied
    1.1 Het Pied.............................1.0 Dinker
    1.2 Normal...............................1.0 Pastel Lesser

Boa
    0.1 Super Salmon Het Sunglow

Check us out at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dem...13090085417762

Thanks
    Ok, I have the lazy-fish-keeper's method for my tanks. I have a 29 gallon tank. I have 4 5-gallon buckets from Lowe's (I think it was like 2 bucks apiece). I have an Emperor filter rated for 50 gallons with a bio-wheel.

I have gravel that is graduated from 2 inches on one side to 3inches on the other side. I keep mostly gouramis in it now but I used to keep discus too successfully.

I don't do water changes except for 2 times a year. The water naturally evaporates and I just tap it off.

I clean the gravel every water change. I drain the water into the 4 lowe's buckets including the fish. I try not to disturb the gravel when I do this. Then I wash out the entire tank, gravel and all. Then I put the water and fish back - should fill the tank up to 2/3 of the tank. Then I put "prepped" water into the tank. Prepping - I use the buckets To hold the new water and I match the pH and temps of the tank water before I add the new water in.

Other than that, I make sure not to overfeed, I clean the filter pads monthly, I got a pleco and a catfish for my "clean-up" crew, and it's all good.

The bio-wheel in my filter takes care of good bacteria stuff.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks
    for a 20 gallon aquarium you need a filter in the range of ohhhh 100-120 gph (gallons/hr) and one with some type of biological filtration, either sponges after the charcoal filters or a biowheel, also small gravel smaller then a pea is bad, since you have such small gravel; gunk, poop, or debris will be harder to get out, i recommend using sand as a substrate..stuff doesnt get caught in it, and if you use a siphon hose you can just suck up the debris off the top, also, larger gravel, roulghy larger then a pea but smaller then a small grape work decently too, oh yes if you use sand you have to have an outside biological filter, such as a biowheel, or canister filter. but your best bet is just to keep vacumning weekly about 20% of the water no more. make sure you de chlorinate the water and get rid of all the hard metals, my thing is i treat the water the day before, let it sit for the day then temp match it and add it the day you clean, also pour the water through a strainer or something...

sorry for rambling fish keeping is my thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123